El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we ever have picnics or just meeting one another for a drink, lunch, or what have you? With my Hemi group we would GTG and have a cookout, swap lies and just enjoy the comraderie. Anybody up for anything where we can GTG as soon as covid is gone.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
the guys down south do some lunches

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about something in the middle of the state?

Fort Christmas is an extremely nice park. Located FLbetween Orlando and Titusville. Historical theme with old log buildings etc, Plenty shade and a pavilion.

Check the links below:
and

·
Registered
285 Posts
How about something in the middle of the state?

Fort Christmas is an extremely nice park. Located FLbetween Orlando and Titusville. Historical theme with old log buildings etc, Plenty shade and a pavilion.

Check the links below:
and
I might be interested in some such meetup. Its about a 2 and a half hour drive from me but I think that's manageable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's about the same distance for me but is somewhat centrally located.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm open for any central meetup.
New Smyrna would be fun driving on the beach.
HorsePower ranch has a few shows... next one is Oct 24-25 Pumpkin Patch event

We had a decent elky turnout last year, besides Camaros and Stangs... we were 3rd biggest group.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Either one or maybe both would give us a chance to meet and see what each other has or is doing. Maybe Fort Christmas in late July/early August and Horsepower Ranch in October. Lets try for one of those or something else if you prefer. Just lets do something soon!

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,581 Posts
Do we ever have picnics or just meeting one another for a drink, lunch, or what have you? With my Hemi group we would GTG and have a cookout, swap lies and just enjoy the comraderie. Anybody up for anything where we can GTG as soon as covid is gone.
Pleased to read that some of you are answering R/T`s call to get together . Hopefully , things will be able to return to normal and we can meet up and enjoy some of our well attended events . Meeting for lunch is a good easy way to go that only requires some time/place planning and a little driving for those of you that live within a day`s drive . The Palm Beach area members have long been doing this at places like Flanagan`s etc. Steve Sanders well attended Gainesville Get Together and 1/4 Mile Run has not been possible due to the Corona and the race track`s schedule and hopefully we can get a good turn out for our next meet up at the Horsepower Ranch . We started going to the Ranch after the excellent Ocala Pumpkin Run was cancelled . Soo , here`s wishing R/T`s efforts and your attendance will equal a fun El Camino day :cool:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked over your locations:
Gainesville
Trenton
Port Charlotte
Orlando
Valrico
Cape Coral
Lutz
Smyrna Beach
Palm Beach
Wesley Chapel
and others who I don't know about. There has to be more of you.

Trying to find a place that is fairly centrally located.

Here is what I came up with:

Bok Tower Gardens.

They are located just east of Lake Wales. It's about 140 miles from Gainesville and from Palm Beach. New Smyrna and Cape Coral are only 110 miles away. Lutz, Valrico, and Wesley Chapel are all just under 100 miles away. This would be a one day trip for us all.

The Hemi club I belong to has had 3 or 4 meets there. Bok Tower is basically a nature preserve. There obviously is a tower there. I believe it was built in the thirties. The tower has carillon bells which perform every few hours, coy ponds, trails through many acres of exotic plants. It is a nice quiet peaceful place where we can relax and enjoy each other company. What is of special interest for us is the picnic area where we can gather to swap El Camino tales. There are grills in the picnic area but if anyone has a portable grill we can use it would be better. Everyone can bring the meat they prefer, a covered dish and drinks to share. In addition, each of us can bring supplies like ice, paper plates, paper towels, plastic utensils, condiments, etc.... Just let us know what supplies you want to bring.

Check the link below. Please let me know if you are interested in having a Florida Get Together in a few weeks.

LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I'll definitely be at the Horsepower Ranch October event. Anything earlier, not too sure at the moment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My camino wouldn't be able to make that trip. Its still under construction. Its missing the rear glass to repair lots of rust. I am in the middle of trying to install an ac system. It doesn't have all the guages that id like to have. And I dont trust the brakes. But, I could possibly make it with the wifes car, if enough people decide to attend. If not would you like to meet in Homasassa one weekend?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess you have been to HP Ranch before. Tell us a bit about your experience. Post any pic's you think might be of interest. I am definitely interested in any chance to meet up with other El Camino enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
We had about 8 Elkys at the HP Ranch show , there were about 150 cars there , nice place . About the other suggestions , you can't just show up at an attraction & have a show , there must be a show happening . We have our all Elky show in G-ville every year , bout 30- 40 Elkys there , We lost the NPD GM show in Silver Springs & the Pumpkin run in Ocala , we have 3-4 shows in WPB area every year . But this is a bad year because of the CV19 virus , we only had one show in Jan at Hot Cars & Chili show in NPB that I attended . This probably will stay the same until this virus goes away because most of our members are in their 60s & 70s , some younger members but not many . Lets hope this virus disappears .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Chris.
We are definitely interested.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

·
4,581 Posts
Thanks Chris.
We are definitely interested.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Hope that those of you that are able will keep tuned in and will be able to have a meet up with R/T and others . Like everyone one else we are hopeful that things will improve enough to make it possible . Thanks to R/T and those of you that are trying .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought we were getting close to being able to have a GTG. That's what I get for thinking. Maybe someday......
How about we make some plans now with the date to be determined.

We have talked about Bok Tower, Fort Christmas, New Smyrna, Horsepower Ranch, Homassassa. It does not have to be tied into a show. Just a GTG to meet folks we have not met or renew relationships with those you haven't seen in a while. How about letting us know what YOU would like to do. I am open to most anything or any place within reason. Maybe just meet up with one or two of you for lunch, having a picnic with those of you who enjoy that sort of thing or having a GTG with those of you who would enjoy a day trip at a central location. If any of this interests you please give us your desires so we can make something happen as soon as we responsibly can.
RT

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you thinking about participating when we can have a GTG

·
4,581 Posts
Are you thinking about participating when we can have a GTG
Like others , I would love to join in an event or a meet up at some point . Right now it seems that most of us are waiting/hoping that the Pandemic will be such that this would be possible and advisable . We have been a very active region before the Covid problem and we hope to resume . The sooner the better . For me , I am down in the Key West area ; which always requires several days of driving , motel etc. but something I really enjoy . I am hoping that the clutch in my Camino is finally repaired after trying for months to get someone to fix it . It is getting to the point that I need to perhaps start thinking about what to do with it as it has been months of waiting and spending money to not have it repaired . I have taken it to three different shops that work on it , I pay the bill and they have not made the repair .Seems that I am just spending money while it sits in the sun waiting . I , as well as others appreciate the efforts being made by R/T and several of our members to meet up . For now , maybe those of you that live within a day`s driving distance can meet for lunch , even if it is not a large group .

Reactions: squag27

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Summer is a tougher time to get together if we can't do an indoor lunch. I am still up for the Horsepower Ranch in October if they have it. Otherwise it will be the wife and I going to the Keys to see Lenny :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts