El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 El Camino which has guage problems that i can't figure out!
1st , clock doesn't function at all...
2nd, speedometer floats around 10mph higher and lower than actual speed while traveling down road.....
3rd, oil pressure is pegged out to the high side showng about 120lbs if guage would go that high.....
4th, water temp never shows more than 105 degrees which is just barely about the lowest mark, but not sure if there is a thermostat in the engine or not, will check it out asap....
5th, i was wondering if i could install the speedo out of a 70 1/2 year model camoro and also replce the clock with the tach out of the same car!
6th, does any one know of a replacement guage set or dash insert with digital guages.....
7th, i need a complete dome lamp assembly if anyone has one in a parts car they are willing to part with!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
You might consider working on one thing at a time. Try the oil gage problem. What happens when you pull the wire off the sender on the engine? Does the reading change? (Must have the key to the ON position.) What happens if you ground that wire? If the gage shows no change look at the ground wire on the gage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guages Gone Wild!!!.....
First. id start out by checking the sending units. . like the other person said. unplugging them. if they change . could be the gauge, if they dont change. could be the sender. could be both....take the bezel apart and check the printed circuit behind the guages. kinda messy to get to. but they dry out and flake apart, mine was in 3 pieces. i dunno how.. ...but it was. i might have a decent one layin around. if thats your problem. they are quitte expensive. anyways. that printed circuit board is pretty much relying on the guages being pressed into place. so if the bezel is loose. all kinds of junk can happen. check that out. speedometer. could just be bad. its just a magnetic driven wheel. and its old. take the guage out. and see if that cable is spinning while its rolling down the road. if its spinning. well. the guage isnt working. find a new one....<not much help> but as far as the digital guages go. they DO have a setup i think its from PHEONIX guages or something along that line. or DAKOTA digital. its on www.montecarloss.com check out the forums their. ive seen the setup and its realllllly sweet and clean

but if you ever go to autometer aftermarket guages. check out my setup and maybe it might give you a few ideas of what you can do
Dash board
its completely rolled over with tweed, and gutted behind it for custom wiring. for all the guages. no b/s stock wiring in this mobile.

alright. hopefully i helped you out a lil bit. keep us updated on your probs :roll:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
1. In my Elky ('84 with gage package) the guages were all acting stupid, similar to yours. Chased that problem all over for the first year I had the car. The problem turned out to be the connector from the wiring harness to the guage pod. The electrical connection is just bare copper tabs on the connector plug resting on bare spots in the printed circuit. Cleaning with electrical contact cleaner (like from Radio Shack) and a little buffing with fine scotchbrite got everything working great.

2. I put in a factory tach to replace the clock that never kept time. The printed circuit in the guage pod already had all the necessary contacts except the ignigion signal, so I only had to run one wire from the tach connection on the distributor to get it working.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I second greywolf's #1 advise, above. I had no dash lights in my '82(most of the time), and it turned out I just need to screw in the bottom right "pod rataining nut(?)" , to pull the pod/cluster tighter/further/into the connector. Too bad I tore things apart, got it working, put it back together, and it Didn't work again!. I had to tighten upthe nut/retainer to get the dash lights working again. AND I broken both the speedo needle And the gas needle :cry: in the process.

good luck, Be Careful under there!,
jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts