El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[up on soapbox] Happy Victory over Japan Day to all!

I know this may not seem politically correct to some people who assert that this designation unfairly stigmatizes Japanese Americans with the aggression and atrocities committed by Imperial Japanese forces. To all those people I say: "Too bad".

The original V-J Day (Victory over Japan Day) was on August 15, 1945. In 1946 President Harry S. Truman shortened the designation to Victory Day. Several states followed up in subsequent years with official declarations of Victory Day as a legal state holiday, including Rhode Island in 1948. However, over the next three decades, every state that had legally designated the holiday repealed it, except for my wonderful little state of Rhode Island. We Roe Dylindas aren't known for political correctness so we still call it V-J Day.

Which brings me to my point. I'd like to thank the Rhode Island State legislators for not caving in to political corectness and keeping V-J day a State holiday. So, while everyone else in this great country got their regular daily pay, I got paid time and a half for working today.

God Bless America! Woohoooo! [/up on soapbox]

:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
My pop piloted B-24's in many a bombing raid on the Japanese forces. His 18th birthday was Dec 7th, 1941...he died Feb 28th, 2000. Never held a grudge against the Japanese people themselves. Never forget the stories he used to tell about the war.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
God bless those who serve in our country's uniforms.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My pop piloted B-24's in many a bombing raid on the *** forces. His 18th birthday was Dec 7th, 1941...he died Feb 28th, 2000. Never held a grudge against the Japanese people themselves. Never forget the stories he used to tell about the war.
My dad also served during the war on the USS Nevada. I too heard several stories about Pearl Harbor,Okinawa,Kamkazies,ect. All of them kinda turned me off to thier way of thinking. It's kinda funny that nowadays alot of "politically correct" people like to remind us about how bad we were for using the bomb,but they don't want to remind us of how Germany and Japan had plans of taking over the world. Ever see the map that was draw up by the axes? Kinda scary when you think about it. You gotta give alot of respect for our guys who fought for us then and now.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Glad we won that war!! My father had 3 brothers who served in the Pacific theatre. One came back with terrible skin diseases from the Philippine Campaign that affected his whole life.
I had the pleasure of being stationed in Japan from 1966 to 1968 and fell in love with the people and the place. But by that time all the politics had changed and the Japanese were emulating everything American, including some of our bad habits. They have actually saved our auto industry from self-destructing with poor quality and antiquated engineering when they pushed us to the wall with their imports in the 1980s. I think we are about even now, and that's where friends should be.

Now, what do we have to gain from our efforts in Iraq??

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Hi John,
Perhaps we'll see something closer to democracy as we know it. Personally, I'm not holding out too much hope. Historically the Middle-East has proven to be a tough nut to crack.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My dad was in port in Pearl. Escaped the crushing we took there and went on to fight! He was a Navy man and retired Navy. He tried talking me into the Navy but I just can't tred water that long. He was into subs, not me. I was Regular Army.

God bless the Vetts, they helped keep us free and God Bless the troops "garding our walls" they protect us as we sleep! :D 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts