El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys time for your thinking hat!!!!! i'm new in here i have a 70 with a 502-502hp stock intake,with a holley 850, starts easy when cold drive it let it sit for 1hr , starts hard ! could this be a heat soak issue? or could i have a booster drip?? if i stop for gas or go the the store for 10 or 15 min starts up no problem! when it sits and does starts it i can smell raw fuel ? i have changed all of the fuel filters, made sure the tank vent is working.. would a phenolic spacer help? just getting back to playing with motors after 42 years, i am putting a MSD EFI on soon , but i would like to know way! thanks guys :beer: time for a cold one or 6

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had this problem really bad on mine and it turned out to be the fuel line was getting so hot that i was boiling the fuel. Rerouted the fuel line and put in a section of rubber and the problem went away.

Dave

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used a heat shield that I bought from jegs under the carburetor. I also rerouted my gas line and I used asbestos tubing around it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your help:You_Rock:!! this is what i'm doing today,,, checked fuel pump 5.5 lbs,,fuel pump is a holley! I'm going back to lhe day? early 60 ,, dam thats a long time ago:smileyb: going to make a cool can and try it and see if that helps , i'm going to get a phenolic 1" spacer and put that on after i try the cool can:nanawrench:after that comes the best part :) going to see if i can make some tire smoke:beer: will let you guys know everything works out!! thanks for your help:You_Rock:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Thanks guys for your help:You_Rock:!! this is what i'm doing today,,, checked fuel pump 5.5 lbs,,fuel pump is a holley! I'm going back to lhe day? early 60 ,, dam thats a long time ago:smileyb: going to make a cool can and try it and see if that helps , i'm going to get a phenolic 1" spacer and put that on after i try the cool can:nanawrench:after that comes the best part :) going to see if i can make some tire smoke:beer: will let you guys know everything works out!! thanks for your help:You_Rock:

Tire smoke take a video!!!!!!!:nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Supporting Member
749 Posts
Our Government with the EPA in an effort to reduce "emissions" started putting alcohol in our gasoline.
Alcohol BOILS at a lower temperature than gasoline!!!!! Your carburator turns into a coffee percolator.
The fuel injected guys have no problem.
EPA wants to up the % from 10% to 15%....rubber starts to dissolve!!!! Happy Days.
The recent Volcano's and wild fires have put more carbon emissions into the atmosphere than all the efforts of the EPA since time beginning.
I used a spacer under mine...seems to be working.:beer:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Your Holley needs a heat shield. I had the same problem. I solved it with a 1/2" spacer. The front pump body sits about 1/8" above the manifold plenum. When hot I could see fuel being boiled out if the pump into my manifold. I solved that problem for $15.00

·
Registered
558 Posts
Rerouting the gas line away from the hot old motor fixed my problem with hard starts after the car was hot. Gas was also boiling out of the bowls it was so hot.

I had this problem really bad on mine and it turned out to be the fuel line was getting so hot that i was boiling the fuel. Rerouted the fuel line and put in a section of rubber and the problem went away.

Dave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys you were a big help:You_Rock:i could see the fuel boiling out of the carb,going with a 1"phenolic spacer, and heat shield!! next question , what spacer should i use??the square one that is open or the one that have the 4 holes ??this is a stock intake on my 502,, next is exhaust cut outs :) !!! now it's time for a :beer: you guys rock have a great weekend!!!!! this is to much fun:nanawrench:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
i would use a four hole spacer perhaps will make a few more hp up top like you really need it:beer:

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Four-hole spacers are typically better for street cars. They allow for more complete atomization of the fuel as it comes out of the carb. It basically makes a longer throttle body where the air and fuel can mix better. I learned this in a recent issue of Hemmings Classic Car on an in-depth article on fuel atomization. The title was humorous: "Breaking Up--It's Hard to Do".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys ,, got my spacer and it works GREAT :inlove:starts great even in this 114 days ,, i got a 1" spacer from summit,also got my exhaust cut outs today putting them on tonight , then its off to Reno NV for hot august nights:beer::beer::beer: you guys rock

1 - 15 of 15 Posts