El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
86 El Camino, 305 stock.hard to start. Turn on key, let the electric pump run for a short time. Push pedal to the floor, let up, half way down, turn the key to start. After a short while with no start have to pump the pedal several times then it starts. Goes to fast idle for up to 5 minutes or more. Any suggestion appreciated.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
‘86 with a factory 305 is a mechanical fuel pump only, no electric. If your choke works once it’s cranked (it stays running and is driveable) then it sounds like your fuel bowl is either draining out the bottom or evaporating out the top (or both) when it’s parked. Evaporation can’t be helped, it’s partly the new formulations of fuel. Draining out can be repaired by sealing up the main well on the underside. You might want to contact a good rebuilder (Mountain Man) for more info.
Patrick

You can deactivate the fast idle once it’s warm enough to run smoothly by jabbing the pedal hard enough to disengage the mechanical lever on the right side.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I have an 86 with 305 , I have the choke wired open on an EB 4 barrel ( because it used to stick closed ). When it sits in the garage for a long period of time it is hard to start . I have to crank it over for a while to refill the carb with gas . I will pump the pedal a few times until it starts . If I try to start it after a few days it will start right away .

·
Registered
179 Posts
86 El Camino, 305 stock.hard to start. Turn on key, let the electric pump run for a short time. Push pedal to the floor, let up, half way down, turn the key to start. After a short while with no start have to pump the pedal several times then it starts. Goes to fast idle for up to 5 minutes or more. Any suggestion appreciated.
My car did this for a while too. I thought for sure it was a carb issue. I advanced the timing a few degrees and starts everytime now.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Similar problem I had with an 86/ 305....pump the pedal three or four times......no start, repeat, no start one more time and good to go. I knew the carb needed rebuild but lost the car on I4 in Orlando.so it didn't get done..
Now I have an 85 / w 350 crate, Edelbrock carb and immediate start.
Sounds to me like maybe yank the carb and ship to Mountain Man. That's what was recommended to me by my friends and consultants on this site but didn't get to it. I guess I didn't want give up my true love for that time she would be down.
I have a new love now.......how soon we forget.
Bill
Orlando

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Try after pumping throttle to not touch it. Your choke will not work properly with the throttle open. Three pumps turn key no throttle, no start ttwo or three more pumps, no throttle.
Tom

·
Registered
998 Posts
My question is if your 86 EC is indeed stock, why does it have an electric fuel pump in addition to the mechanical fuel pump in the front passenger side of the block?

I agree with what several of the others have recommended which is to look into rebuilding the carb. We are all assuming that since this is a "stock" 305 that your carburetor is a QuadraJet. QJets have a long history of fuel bowl leak downs. If you think about it, a stock motor and carb has many years/miles of service and bound to need attention. DO NOT swap out your carb at your local parts store for a reman carb...that is the worst option!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I missed the ‘part throttle while cranking’ part, but I agree, after patting the pedal don’t touch it while cranking. I also strongly agree with 57 about parts store (or online/Rock Auto etc.) carbs; they’re ALL junk. The warranty is just words on the box. Have your core rebuilt.
Patrick

·
Registered
65 Posts
What car do you have on it? I am a huge fan of a good electric fuel pump and strong ignition. it does sound like you have a fuel delivery issue, some more detail would help.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,218 Posts
If the carb is actually working as it should mechanically, first half pump will close the choke fully. That sets the carb for max gas delivery with minimum air. Barely touching the gas pedal again will disengage the choke flap from where it's set, and with Florida heat in summer that'll mean your choke flap is almost, if not fully, wide open, which sets a large amount of air delivery.

A second or third pump etc will open the choke but then activates the accelerator pump and dumps gas into the intake. If evaporation or fuel leakage has drained the bowl, just turning the motor over a few times should refill it.

The 2 things that affect starting the most are timing and choke position. If the choke is not right (either by the user or by settings) you'll get a hard start, if the timing is off, you can get a hard start.

Fixing either condition is not difficult, the hard part is determining which is the root cause.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,648 Posts
realfisher , Welcome from the Keys and hope you will come to one of our get together and meet other Camino fans . Check out the current conversations on where we want to meet up next . Where in the state are you ? If you post a quick hello in the New Member Forums , Steve Sanders will send you a small El Camino Central decal .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
realfisher , Welcome from the Keys and hope you will come to one of our get together and meet other Camino fans . Check out the current conversations on where we want to meet up next . Where in the state are you ? If you post a quick hello in the New Member Forums , Steve Sanders will send you a small El Camino Central decal .
Live in north Tampa, Lutz FL.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure this will help you but just to convey my experiences. I have a 1987 El Camino (360Kmiles) and 1985 Monte Carlo SS (85kmiles), both stock - 305, 4bbl, AT, mechanical fuel pump. I start each one every other weekend (Saturday morning) and take them out for a ride every other month so I only put a few hundred miles a year on them.

The Monte still has the original carb on it; I had the carb on the Camino rebuilt by Mountain Man a few years ago.

I live in Phoenix arizona where the winters are mild but the summer is hot(!).

I use the same procedure to start each car - pump the accelerator 3 times then turn the key.

The El Camino will start on the first crank year round.
The Monte will also start on the first crank during the cooler months.

When it gets warm, I typically have to crank the Monte 3, 4 sometimes 5 times before the fuel bowl fills and it starts. I use the starter maybe 8 seconds each crank.

The only physical difference between the cars is that the Monte has a fuel return line to the tank on the pump where the Camino does not.

In order to reduce cranking (time on the starter) this year I bought a can of starting fluid. I've found that if I give it a shot of fluid, hit the starter, the engine will stumble for a second. Repeat. After a third shot it will start. I'm thinking that during the 'stumbles', the engine turns over more revolutions than it would on the starter thus filling the fuel bowl faster.

Like I said, not sure this helps you. However, you say that once it does start it stays on the fast idle cam for a long time. Sounds like it needs lubrication/adjustment or perhaps have MM rebuild it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I keep a can of starter fluid on hand as well. Sometimes I just don't get around to starting my 85 for weeks and use the fluid to keep from running down the battery. I think there is evaporation in the carb as someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Can also depend on the needle seat. Many of the quads came with a windowed seat, that allows the bowl to bleed out faster. Just swapping to a solid seat, without the windows in it can help stop that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QuadraJet carb are noted for the jet well drai with a punchning down due to it being plugged with 2 lead plugs which shrink over time. Parts stores sell a repair kit which will fix leak better than trying to enlarge them with a punch.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,648 Posts
Realfisher , Have you had the time to sort out your starting situation ?

Reactions: Hat Trick

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Not the spring, there's a checkball in a black rubber tip that goes inside the filter, on the other side from the spring, so facing the fuel pump. If that's not in the filter, gravity will siphon the fuel back down the line. The spring holds the filter tight to the inlet so fuel comes from the inside to outside and enters the bowl. I've seen some idiots in YouTube vids insist the filter hollow goes carb side and spring goes pump side, so fuel goes from outside to inside. Gotta delete the checkball then or it blocks flow to the carb.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts