El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My balancer came with two key way 1/2 circle shims. The directions don't reference these what are they for? Is it to align the pulley with the other pulley's? I have already pressed it on and was going to torque the hold down bolt but thought I'd better check first. Looks like they would set in the key way slot? The reason I'm calling them shims is I saw some in a pack at the auto store while looking for something else and the package said shims.:dontknow:
Thanks
Robert

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..out of all the chevys I've build over the years,I've never heard or seen a Harmonic Balancer shims..Post a picture of it..:dontknow::beer:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Those are your crankshaft keyways to hold the balancer at a set position on the crank so it wont spin.

They tap into a slot in the crank.

You should only need 1 of them and it needs to be a tight fit.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are your crankshaft keyways to hold the balancer at a set position on the crank so it wont spin.

They tap into a slot in the crank.

You should only need 1 of them and it needs to be a tight fit.
O.K. do I need to take the balancer back off or tap it in now? Does the flat end go into the crank shaft key way:dontknow: or the round end? I would think the flat end on the crank. I haven't looked yet but is there a slot on the balancer also so the keyway slides into both parts and keeps it from spinning? must be DAH.
Thanks
Robert

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Take it off. Put the round end on the crank and press the balancer back on.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad I got a puller just in case . so I put the keyway all the way to the back of the shaft and reinstall the balancer correct? Do I need to take it all the way off or just till I can slip it on the back of the shaft?

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
take the balancer all the way off. If you have two keys make sure one of them is not offset half way through. If you have one that way you have to know exactly what you are doing to use it. Use the straight one that fits the key way in the crank.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..Oh, the shear pin,I thought you said "shims"...X2 Bobby78 saids..:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
take the balancer all the way off. If you have two keys make sure one of them is not offset half way through. If you have one that way you have to know exactly what you are doing to use it. Use the straight one that fits the key way in the crank.

O.K. here's what I got the bigger keyway is flat on the bottom and the small is rounded. I just use the one that fits tight in the 4th picture I believe correct ?

The tab on the crank doesn't continue the complete length of the shaft? I will find the slot on the other end of the crank shaft to put the keyway in and it should fit like the one on the crank in the picture correct?

Hay look spelled it in English on the top wow.

I see in JJLT1 PICTURE OF THE SLOT ,SO THE SHAFT HAS THE GUIDE AND THE BALANCER IS SLOTTED HOW COULD IT SPIN? if IT NEEDS THE KEYWAY THEN IT NEEDS IT AND I CAN'T SEE WHERE IT GOES BECAUSE THE BALANCER IS INSTALLED AND I CANT SEE IF THE SHAFT HAS THE GUIDE THE LENGTH OF THE SHAFT CORRECT?

I know this must be a no brainer but if I don't ask now I will be back to ask again later. So might as well know before I pull if off.

Nothing in the instructions of course . This looks to easy to screw up once the balancer is removed correct?

Thanks
Robert

·
2,566 Posts
That needs to be pressed on flush with the end of the crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Put the rounded end into the shaft. Slide the balancer onto the shaft with the keyway to align with the key. It might be slightly tight, but you can make MINOR adjustments to get the balancer slot to slide over the key. Then you can torque the balancer on slowly to make sure that it's not binding. I've never heard of a key shearing offf, but have heard of the balancer not staying together internally.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
594-009: 1993-77 5.0L (305), 5.7L (350) Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, GMC Truck.
if it fits a 305 also you might want to check the timing mark lines up with your pointer at TDC..:texas:
just from memory it looks like a strait up timing mark..:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it looks like the key is allready in there.. and dosnt need to be flush..
It was on the new 350 motor shaft and I really didn't look how it was put on . Is there supposed to be two keys or only one like the se3cond picture? Hate to pull it off for no reason.
Thanks

·
2,566 Posts
Only one. But you need to press the balancer on so it's flush with the end of of the crankshaft.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That needs to be pressed on flush with the end of the crankshaft.

How many keys does the shaft need? In the second picture you can already see the one that came on my new 350 crate crank shaft. It needs to be flush for sure? It looks closer to the block than shaft left to get them flush to the pulley from what I can see but could be wrong?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
I tightened it till I couldn't move it anymore and they say not to use a breaker bar.:dontknow::dontknow:

·
2,566 Posts
Like I said above only one key. The balancer should be flush to the end of the shaft.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a video from box wrench and when the mechanic is done the balancer look exactly like mine does now not flush with the shaft.

Here's after he pulled out the tool.

Here's the video just go to the end. So mine should be correct ?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts