El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 El Camino came without a radio. And a variety of wiring issues. I've had the dash apart for about a week now chasing electrical gremlins. As best I can tell my truck Never had a radio. But there is a dash mounted speaker.. The lack of a factory radio doesn't bother me much, I'll wire as I need to for an aftermarket stereo. My question is: My truck does not have an accessory position on the ignition switch. Is that even possible?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I know of no switch you can buy for a '69 that wont come with an accessory position, and even a radio delete car would have one orignally. so my answer would be "no" it shouldnt be possible

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm in the middle of a rewire right now, accessory line should come from the column connector. It is possible to be missing the wire from the connector side out, but it should be present inside the column nonetheless.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The key switch on the column doesn't turn back to a "accessory" position. It goes back to "lock" and that's all. I never saw a GM column without a "accessory" position. Could this be a worn out ignition switch? If so, How? The key looks well worn. And may be worn out. I can pull the key out of the ignition after I move it from the "lock" position. But I've been able to do that on any number of GM vehicles. And the switch works the forward ("ignition" and "start") positions fine. I would think if the key, or lock were worn that badly I'd have trouble moving the switch at all. In any direction! I've got to admit I'm stumped.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your post got me to thinkin' that I have that ignition set-up on my '79, so I went out to check. Indeed, 4 positions on the column switch: LOCK, UNLOCK/OFF. ON, START. Don't know when they started that-maybe '69?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts