El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my love of my gmc sprint I was looking a pictures of El Camino's trying to decide a paint color and I found these has any body heard of them have any know if this was a hoax. Now I know Chevy tried with the srr but I never liked it it didn't have that sleek look

This is my personal favorite I would love to have this car

·
Registered
11,980 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
GM says no

About a year ago, prior to buying my El Camino, I saw the same pictures and thought I could save a lot of headaches if I just bought a new one. So I called around and finally got in touch with a lady at GM that was kind of high up in new production models. I told her about my thoughts. She told me GM has nothing in the works nor do they have any plans to bring the El Camino back.
So here I am with one scattered all over the garage just so I can go out and do a wheel spin now and then.Combined with retirement and needing some busy work.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
It almost came back as a Pontiac on the G8 platform ala GTO via Austrailian GM Holden Commadore but when Pontiac went under that killed it , and now Holden , along with all Austrailian automakers are going out of business . So no more Holden Utes( Aussy El Camino ) , The Govt . is trying to save it but no news on that .

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,474 Posts
I would also love to see GM build an El Camino/Camaro . I agree that the market is not there for them to do it . Some type of limited production would be cool but again is it monetarily justifiable :dontknow: The closest I`ve seen is the great work of Region 6 , Florida member Joe ( JlcustomZ ) , in installing a 2014 Camaro front in on his highly custom 5 th Generation El Camino . He is currently getting ready to now put a front in from a 2016 Camaro on . If you have not seen his ride , it is definitely worth checking out the photos of his work of art :bigups:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The problem with a new version coming out, as I see it, is that new generation engineers would make one that looks like all the other junk on the road, FWD bug smashers that all look alike...etc
Too true if they made a correct rendition of the El Camino. Camaro, nope Chevy didn't use a pony car as a basis(Mustang Ranchero eek!) it was their bread and butter cars which would make Stellybill's prophecy become fact. Don't need or want a new electronic cookie cutter El Camino, appreciate the old ones(like us oldsters too).:wink1:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I would also love to see GM build an El Camino/Camaro . I agree that the market is not there for them to do it . Some type of limited production would be cool but again is it monetarily justifiable :dontknow: The closest I`ve seen is the great work of Region 6 , Florida member Joe ( JlcustomZ ) , in installing a 2014 Camaro front in on his highly custom 5 th Generation El Camino . He is currently getting ready to now put a front in from a 2016 Camaro on . If you have not seen his ride , it is definitely worth checking out the photos of his work of art :bigups:
The episode of OVERHAULD where they redid a Camino and put a 67 or 68 Camaro front end on it.....beautiful!

·
Registered
32 Posts
El Camino

I see at a lot of cruises and shows in the Ohio area that there is a following and interest in El Caminos. Like any car brand and models you have people that like certain types. To each is own.

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
It almost came back as a Pontiac on the G8 platform ala GTO via Austrailian GM Holden Commadore but when Pontiac went under that killed it , and now Holden , along with all Austrailian automakers are going out of business . So no more Holden Utes( Aussy El Camino ) , The Govt . is trying to save it but no news on that .
This is true Chris,both Holden and Ford are doomed here. Commodores have been made here since 1979 and the idea was there to release the ute version,rebadged as an El Camino.
I service the highway patrol cop cars and they use SS Comodores but no more,they have gone to an Audi.
This is what you might have seen over there if the plan went ahead.
First pic is the Maloo version with bonnet (hood) and guard (fender) flutes.
The other is the SS.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts