El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everbody from the Great White North,

Our primary insurance is handled by a Provincially owned insurance company. I'd like to get guaranteed value coverage, and have recently found that Hagerty is availble in our area.

Now here is the problem. I bought the Elky to use. It's not just soley for show and shines and the ocassional trip to Dairy Queen. Don't get me wrong it's not a daily driver. It gets licenced from May to September. Usually I wind up hauling branches and leaves in May (I line the box with a tarp). Last year I bought a patio set (table and chairs) and used the Elky to bring it home. In the fall I used the Elky to move a snowblower (ya ya I know a lot of you don't know what that is).

According to Hagerty's rules that makes me inelligable for their coverage. Additionally according to Hagerty, the Elky can't be used for towing either. Doesn't matter if it's a utility trailer or a boat or a construction trailer, it's all towing.

Those of you who have Hagerty coverage, do you just not use the Elky for it's truck abilities, or do you just wink at the requirement.

Thanks
Dave In Winnipeg

·
Registered
282 Posts
Have you looked at the cost to insure via Hagerty vs. conventional insurance? In my area it wasn't all that much more to insure my Elco on my regular insurance policy and I don't have any restrictions on how I use it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have my 86 EC SS insured with Hagerty for $15,000 , it costs me about $300 a year for full coverage . Road service & towing including . If I had my 86 on my regular insurance it would be twice that & it would only be insured for less than $ 2000 which almost any damage would total it . Hagerty makes you keep it in a locked garage & you must own at least one other vehicle & you can't use it if your car is in the shop . Used to be 2000 miles a year but I think they raised it but I drive it less than that anyway . So I pay less for more coverage .

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
According to Hagerty’s own website, they don’t require a garage and don’t prohibit towing or hauling. Perhaps your agent us misinformed? (Or is Canada different?)

Patrick

·
Registered
340 Posts
@Chris Nelson, OP, I also have the same policy and "agreed amount" coverage as Chris. In FL, I am required to have acess to a garage....it may or may not be in your home. I can "keep it" on my driveway at home.

Now, in the event of a hurricane...I'm in Miami...Haggerty requires the insured vehicle to be safely stored in a garage.

Haggerty will cover all towing and storage fees if your garage is in an area prone to flooding. They prefer to keep it high and dry.

I don't plan on towing with my car but I've used it multiple times, like you, for Home Depot amd moving stuff runs. I can't see how they can prohibit that.

The above is assuming it's a vehicle for personal use as opposed to a business.
Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here is the answer. American Hagerty Insurance and Canadian Hagerty Insurance is not the same.
In summary:
Canada
Classic Truck Insurance | Hagerty Canada Qualifications
Qualifying for truck insurance
Trucks must meet the following requirements:

· Vehicles can no longer be used for utility–type purposes such as hauling, towing, or camping

· Classic truck garaging must be consistent with Hagerty’s guidelines

USA
Classic Truck Insurance | Antique Truck & Utility Vehicle Insurance
Qualifying for truck insurance
Classic trucks and SUVs must meet the following requirements:

· 15 years and older***

· Vehicles in good or better condition

· Vehicles under restoration may be considered

· Minimum value $3,500

· We can consider limited towing and hauling

· Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted

I've written Hagerty and advised them of the inequality between the coverage, but don't expect much to come of it.

Dave In Winnipeg

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I've written Hagerty and advised them of the inequality between the coverage, but don't expect much to come of it.
and that difference may be because of the different insurance requirements in each country, of what's required to be offered & at what level, and what's allowed to be offered.

there appear to be a number of different companies in Canada offering classic car insurance. however, consider this; if you are actually using your Elkie as an Elkie, well, that's regular usage. I doubt that any insurance company would cover agreed value on that. An option you may want to consider is 'garaging'. My insurance company allows me to 'garage' a vehicle for ever how long I need (winter time?), and then will put it back on active duty at my request. It reduces the premium by a small amount, and it's not agreed value, but it may be an option for you.

our resident insurance commissar (Glenn aka RushGator) might be able to guide you in this quest, but no guarantees as he lives here in Texas, not Canada.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not quite. If you had a lawn chair and a show sign in the bed of the truck . . . You are hauling.

Other Canadian insurance companies like Silver Wheels have been bought out by Hagerty.

There really isn't any other collector car insurance companies so I don't know where you are looking?

·
Registered
340 Posts
@DaveInWinnipeg Too bad Canada, like California, are not classic/collector/off road friendly.

My ‘65 FJ40 is also insured with Hagerty. They accepted it because it is not heavily modified and I’m not supposed to “wheel it”.

Still, for me in high premium fraud capitol of the world South Florida....Hagerty is my best option.
6FA9AA00-9104-451D-8D87-5C63CEF073CF.jpeg

·
Registered
278 Posts
i don't know the answers your looking for but i really don't see why they would have an issue with you using it as a truck as long as you are using it for personal use and only using it part of the time. i was cruising around with an atv in the back of mine today. i have also used it to move snowblowers or lawn mowers between my place and my sisters place. i also don't have a garage to lock it in. i do have a car shelter and it has camera's pointed at it but still not quite the same as a garage. i did talk with my broker and he said i was fine. pretty much just got to talk to the insurance company and see what they say. hagerty is likely back by someone else so rule may change province to province. i think i am with elite insurance or something like that through hagerty.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I confirmed with Hagerty in Canada. Better not even have your spare tire in the back.

As I showed earlier, very different rules north of the border

·
Registered
278 Posts
seriously? i wouldn't think they would be that uptight. i guess i better not get caught lol. there is a snowblower that i have had my eye on for at least 3-4 months now and have been waiting to drag the elcamino out to go buy it. now i am mainly waiting for this virus to die off a little more before going for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts