El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read through just about every thread on RPO's, some on VIN tags and locations and some other stuff. I think that I have a pretty good handle on some identifying features that I should have on my '68. But today I found my cowl tag and now I'm a little worried that someone might be trying to pull a fast one on me.

[/IMG]

Based off of the VIN my car is clearly a '68 and based off of a manual I downloaded through a link in one of the threads, 68's started with a serial of 100001. So mine should be number 11632 off of the line out of an estimated 42000. So far so good.

[/IMG]

According to my cowl tag, this is a '69 built on May 10 or 5 Oct, not sure which. The 764 is a seat code for a 69, the paint color codes are two digit numeric codes which started in 69.

I've read about a VIN stamping somewhere on the rear frame rail but haven't been able to find that yet. I'm wondering if someone changed one of these tags for some reason.

The car has the backup lights in the bumper, ignition switch on the dash, the 68 gauge setup but it has the SS hood and by the 68 VIN this was not a SS but I also know that a hood is a very simple component to change out. So, what's your best guess. I had contemplated a very late model 68 that might have had 69 features but the date on the cowl tag and the production numbers don't support that. There is so much conflicting data. Let me know what you think. I'll be in the garage trying to figure out my wiring problem.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
A 69 would have a column ignition lock. I see why you are curious. There recently was a thread pertain,!g to primary and secondary areas where VINs were stamped. Look back over the last ten days. I remember reading the. VIN is stamped somewhere up front. Could it be the numbers came at the time of the annual retooling .chan
Someine herd will know the poop. Some members are up on all that sfuff.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I found a partial VIN stamped on the firewall once I removed the AC box. It was beside the hole for the fan intake.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The cowl appears to be a Fremont car
being the 2151 EL CAMINO body built
at that particular Fisher Body plant

Also appears to be a 10E car, so the body was built the 5th week of October.

This does not coincide with the VIN
The VIN clearly shows a 68 model from
Fremont
ALSO being an OCTOBER car----just not a 69

And just so you understand, the VIN number sequence is a
sequential number for ALL tyups of cars that rolled off that particular plants line.

8Z111632 will be the 11632nd Car to come off that assembly line---
---is NOT the 11632nd ElCamino ----- is the 11632nd Chevelle (as Fremont only built
Chevelles in this plant at this time) to come off the line

Something a bit fishy about those tags
You could try logging on to "Team Chevelle" for some very good input on this issue.

Body number and VIN show to be October cars---so that part appears to be in line
That 69 13680 is an issue.

The 69 cowl tag shows a Glacier Blue car with black cloth interior-----is that what you have
The 68 paint codes are letters

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cowl appears to be a Fremont car
being the 2151 EL CAMINO body built
at that particular Fisher Body plant

Also appears to be a 10E car, so the body was built the 5th week of October.

This does not coincide with the VIN
The VIN clearly shows a 68 model from
Fremont
ALSO being an OCTOBER car----just not a 69

And just so you understand, the VIN number sequence is a
sequential number for ALL tyups of cars that rolled off that particular plants line.

8Z111632 will be the 11632nd Car to come off that assembly line---
---is NOT the 11632nd ElCamino ----- is the 11632nd Chevelle (as Fremont only built
Chevelles in this plant at this time) to come off the line

Something a bit fishy about those tags
You could try logging on to "Team Chevelle" for some very good input on this issue.

Body number and VIN show to be October cars---so that part appears to be in line
That 69 13680 is an issue.

The 69 cowl tag shows a Glacier Blue car with black cloth interior-----is that what you have
The 68 paint codes are letters
It's black primer now but there are a few nooks that show some glacier blue. I found 764 to be a shade of blue bench for 69 which is what's in the car right now

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not so much concerned about the colors and such. I just wonder why the VIN and cowl don't jive. The PO had a clear title so that shouldn't be a concern. I've read elsewhere that there's a VIN stamp behind the heater box. I'll have to pull that and check

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Also----if Fremont did not stamp the convin on the firewall (is not on my 66), there should be a number on TOP of the frame behind the rear wheel on the left side.

This pic shows the frame vin on my car.
this is the left rear rail and that number is close to the gas tank---on the inboard edge of the frame behind the left rear wheel.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks as though the car may be a 69.

I'm still going to check at the heater box. Can anyone provide some specifics on where exactly to look?

Another thing that I noticed when I was thinking about buying the car is that it had rear marker lights in the quarters. I thought I had read somewhere in my research that El Caminos didn't have those until 1969.

What exactly does this mean for me. Do I leave the title the way it is? Will this ever affect me trying to sell the vehicle? I'm pretty ticked off, just don't know if the PO is even aware and if I should go back to him.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And another thing - I read on here that the VIN tag for a 68 should be on the pillar by the upper door hinge. Mine is on top of the dash. There seems to be some type of fraud going on here. Any suggestions how I should handle this?

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Quarter lights were mandatory in 1969 along with seat belts. Also, I used to own a 69 Chevelle that was built in Fremont the 3rd week of September. It was built as a1969 but had been left over from the 1968 model year. It still had a power glide transmission in it even though the 69s came with turbo 350s. I think because the model were so similar they may have used left over part to get the first units off the line.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
And another thing - I read on here that the VIN tag for a 68 should be on the pillar by the upper door hinge. Mine is on top of the dash. There seems to be some type of fraud going on here. Any suggestions how I should handle this?

Vin tag is on the dash.
No rear side markers
Donny

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Wrong VIN tag or frame has been replaced.

That frame should read

8Z111632

If the frame had not been changed, or the VIN is correct.

Something is wrong with that car.

I am now betting the VIN tag has been swapped.

Have no idea what you should do now.

Remove the heater on both sides of the firewall to check for the other set of numbers.

I don't know if they will be there-----my 66 from Fremont did not have them.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quarter lights were mandatory in 1969 along with seat belts. Also, I used to own a 69 Chevelle that was built in Fremont the 3rd week of September. It was built as a1969 but had been left over from the 1968 model year. It still had a power glide transmission in it even though the 69s came with turbo 350s. I think because the model were so similar they may have used left over part to get the first units off the line.
Quarter/side lights mandatory in 68---along with the seat belts.
Seat belts were standard equipment in the GM cars starting in at least 66

·
Registered
439 Posts
No they never had left over bodies, all were built per order so nothing was left over. The plant shut down in July and when production resumed in Aug they started building 1969 bodies. 1969 production (and all years) was planned months in advance. If any body was left over it would have been destroyed, the plant was retooled to build 1969 models during the 1 month shutdown and the amount of engineering needed to reuse one body would have never been worth thier time. It just did not happen, federal authorities (FBI) would have caught that as they were always watching the assembly plants because of the laws the oem had to meet.

The Power glide transmission was still the base trans into 1972 so it was still being used in 1969 behind the 307 and 6 cyl engines. The TH350 was an extra cost option but not standard. Heck you could even get the 300hp 350 with a powerglide.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Doing some more looking for you

Z311759 was the last vin recorded for October 1968 for the 69 model year

Your frame and cowl tag match------car is a 69
The VIN on the dash is incorrect.

I''d be calling the PO to see if he was aware of it-----This car has bad ju jus

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
regardless of what year it really is, as long as the paperwork is straight, I'd go with whatever it said on the title. If you try to get that fixed, they may take the elkie (they'll find a reason). Just call it whatever the title says it is. 68 or 69 won't make any diff as far as parts go.

:secret:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I think I'll just go with the title. Pulled the heater box and all I found was a leaky core and locked up blower. I appreciate all the effort on this guys. Whatever the PO did, the body and frame are pretty sound. I'll get on with it and just have to figure out along the way how to explain the discrepancy between the cowl, frame and VIN. I did find something stamped on the cowl. I'll do a little more work cleaning it up and I'll let you know what I found

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah, I think I'll just go with the title. Pulled the heater box and all I found was a leaky core and locked up blower. I appreciate all the effort on this guys.
Well, perfect opportunity to put those two right, so not wasted effort!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts