El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I my 357 crapped out. So I was thinking of getting this
SB-Chevy 396ci Stroker/ 485HP/ 500TQ.

Now if I'm spending this type of money is this a good route to go? I saw a 496 for the same price but then i have to get a bunch of new part to fit it. Just don't want to spend all this money and then regret it. Here is a link. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint+Engines/138/BP3961CT/10002/-1

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I just went thru the same thing, looking for a replacement engine.
I'm not an engine expert or even close but from what I understand that 396 small block has been bored to it's max. So if you have to do a rebuild in the furture it won't be possible.
After all my reseach I bought the GM ZZ383. It still has the big torque numbers that gets you off the line and in the furture if I need more hp a few changes like a hotter cam should do the trick.
The engine has been in the elky for about 2 weeks and I couldn't be happier. What a hugh change from the tried 327 it replaced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just looking for the best engine for the buck that will have great HP and will work with all the parts I currently have for the 357. Really need to get this done asap! This is torture.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
If I lived in the states I would have considered the blueprint or patriot engines but shipping and warrenty were a concern. The other reason I went with the gm engine is that they kept the compression ratio low and still got the power where as the others have greater ratios.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I much as I like the new engines I was in the same boat as you. I wanted it a simple drop in, using all the parts from the old engine like pulleys and fuel cell. Dropping in an ls ment a lot of changes.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I agree with Harleydude, the GM zz383 is the way to go. For less bucks, you can go the zz4 route. For 355HP out of the box, it's a great engine. Mine is over 8 years old, still plenty of power and torque. i love it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm willing to spend $5,500 looking up the 383 is only losing 50 hp but that can be made up easily. Also it's a lot cheaper, but the 396 will give my buddies 383 LT1 12.5 to 1 compression a damn good run. This car will be a street car and track, not just for show. Garage kept in the winter. Mostly only taken out on the weekends. Again thanks for your input guys. Just torn on what to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts