El Camino Central Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to rant about some stuff, leave now if your under 18 or don't have mommy's permission to be on [email protected]

My wife was a victim of an illegal stop this evening by Texas Department of Public Safety, be forewarned, They don't need a reason to stop YOU! She was in my 2010 Chevy 2500. The cop was going the other way in a 75 zone, the wife was slowing down to pull into our property, the cop whipped around and pulled her over "because the license plate light was not bright enough"!!

BOTH of the factory lights are working properly in the factory bumper!! I'm MAD! She's like "I didn't get a ticket?" What? This is an ILLEGAL stop!:banghead::banghead:

My other rant is about what is and isn't allowed on this site, we can have stuff on the front page about everything from "I saw a rocket launch from my front yard" to any number of things, like right now?? But a long time member that has given a lot to this site is suspended for putting the History of Hot rodding" up in video, is suspended?????:screwy:
"The History of Hot Rodding" is the only reason we Keep these piles...and you should have heard the stuff the "old timers" in the dealer were saying about the "5th gens" in 1987.
To make you feel better, safe space or not, all the problems that everyone is having or had were there when new, they were not supposed to last this long.:huh:
IMO the "crack down on the "rules" was about Server space...:beer:
Unless I am Banned, I'll see Ya'll in Belton.
Peace Out!

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Trying To Find Facts............

So far, I haven't been able to determine who Hotrodelco is referring to in his post, and I've so far found no record of a post containing a reference to "...History of Hot Rodding...", or any bans/suspensions related to a post about this subject. I have a call in to Ralph, and I will get to the bottom of this. I need to know the circumstances, and I can't determine why something like this could occur without the surrounding facts. So, please bear with me while the investigation continues. Although the Forum's policy is to not discuss suspensions/bans, I will tell what facts I can, consistent with the Forum policy, as I find them................Ken

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
Ralph, NO PROBLEM! We all need to let off a little steam from time to time and have our own opinions that we should be able to express even if others do not like them, even might state that they get offended. There are many people that just offend me by being on the earth!

No offense taken here, keep letting the steam off!

BTW, I would like to debate the RAT issue with you, I have 2 BBC's and 2 really sweet SBC's, so I am torn.......

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
("because the license plate light was not bright enough"!! )
Years ago I got pulled over for the same reason, the officer just wanted to search my my car. No luck for him!!:rockon:
Donny

·
Registered
935 Posts
I speed , but I dont drive reckless ,yet get pulled over and the guy swerving and cuttin people off gets away .
I once told a Joliet cop that if I saw him getting his butt kicked in the alley , that I wouldnt help him .
I have a high school friend that said he became "chicagos finest" , my response was "chicagos finest what"?
There is so much anti cop stuff now a days one would think that ''they'' would send them all back to "Nice" school .
Super Troopers , lol. I'm not trying to cop bash , but I have no use for them .

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
As A Former.................

As a former City Police officer and State Trooper, it breaks my heart to hear of injustices caused by perhaps over-zealous members of police forces. It goes without defense that there are officers who should not be wearing a badge, or shield ,in some jurisdictions, just as there are mechanics who will rip you off at their leisure without a second thought, and welders who routinely overheat high stress joints. However, "Police" MUST be held to a higher standard than the shady mechanics and welders, as the term "Police" itself should invoke unquestionable trust at the highest level. Yet when that public trust is violated, by what I will always believe is a very small subset of the police population, all police officers lose. Fully 95 percent of police/public interactions occur under situations unfavorable to the public side of the equation - a domestic disturbance (family fight), a traffic crash, a traffic stop, or a traffic delay caused by police investigation on a roadway. So the officer most always has a hill to climb under the most favorable of circumstances. Throw in one officer who disrespects the righteous complainant in a disturbance call, the officer who unnecessarily delays allowing you to proceed around the crashed autos and bodies at the wreck site - especially when you're already late for a critical appointment, the officer who employs a very questionable probable cause as the basis for his traffic stop, or the officer who routinely violates the very laws he is sworn to fairly enforce, and the smelly tarnish that results smears the badges of all police officers as the tales are repeated among friends, family, and, now, on all social medial outlets. I'll be the first to say that much more needs to be done to get rid of "bad" officers, but I'll also be among the first to defend the vast majority of officers who "run toward the fire" when called upon, who strive to make their contact with the public a positive experience, and want badly to serve as role models for public service - especially to the next generation of citizens. In summery - Yes, there are a few bad officers, but it cuts me to the core to hear someone say that they would not go to the aid of an officer under attack. As a former officer who has had the public come to his aid on more than one occasion, I cannot visualize our Country as a functioning democracy much longer with the blemishes of the few shouting out the sacrifices of the many. There's my rant, my friends!...............Ken

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
License Plate Light.......

And, I should add - a traffic stop for "improper illumination of the license plate" sounds to me like the officer was either needing OVCs - Officer-Violator-Contacts - for his weekly report, or well, the first reason is most likely correct. There are so many legitimate reasons for a traffic stop that this one really sounds questionable...............Ken

·
Registered
935 Posts
well said , well put , agreed every organization has its percentage of bad apples .Not all can be Andy Taylor ,some are Barney's and the chief from Rambo movie .Some traffic stops have turned deadly and a cop has to respond whether he likes it or not.Meeting one in non threatening situations one realizes that they are Human .
We all are proud of the Red White and Blue until we see it in our rearview mirrors.
but we all need to rant .

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
The thing I've noticed about the recent, well-publicized, tragic police encounters is they all escalated from a failure to comply with a legal order. The way to avoid a tragic outcome is to obey lawful orders. Or, if its an unlawful order, obey it and take up the challenge later. There!! That's my rant. :-x

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
x2 Ken

my biggest peeve is the seatbelt law, [in my Elky, so this post is Elky related, by the rules]
which doesn't apply to a SCHOOL BUS, WTH !!
[and really it usually only affects the one person not wearing it]

BUT I can ride a motor cycle 70mph nearly naked with no helmet, and its OK !!

they used to just give seatbelt tickets if you were doing something else wrong,
now they pull you over just for that.. more money..

at 200-250$ a pop,, I probly have 1500$ invested in that law..

now days more people would probly be killed by airbags without a seat belt..

seatbelts are for racing,
so you can steer your car real fast without flying out of the seat,,
but you cant do that ether..

:texas:

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
BUT I can ride a motor cycle 70mph nearly naked with no helmet

JJ, Agree with what you said, but the "nearly naked" part is very scary to me! :)

Please don't do it here in New Jersey!

·
Registered
935 Posts
bulling with a badge ?

Captain Robert Ifft
Florida Highway Patrol

Dear Sir ,

I hope this letter finds you well and at peace ,
I am writing to you because of a recent incident that I had while en route to our condo in PCB . We are not quite ready to be permanent residents ,but we are approaching retirement age and will be looking towards that in the near future .
We had arrived at the airport around 9:15 am on Saturday, November 2 .We then rented a car which had a bit more modern features than I was used to . It took me and my wife almost 10 minutes to figure out how to start it . Kind of funny isn't it . There was not an owners manual in the glove box to refer to but we managed .
That story is not the purpose of this letter , but only a way to present a mental image of the following situation .
We made our way to the parking exit and onto the roadway . Still trying to get accustom to the vehicle and locations of devices on the steering wheel . What the "paddles were for on the steering column we had yet to wonder the purpose of .
I was commenting to my wife how much smoother this car was in comparison to ours at home , when I noticed the lights come on from the patrol car heading towards us .
I was then pulled over for speeding .
I am familiar with Florida's interstate speed of 70 mph and usually 65 on rural roadways . The posted speed in this area was 55 mph ,which I missed the sign as I exited the airport and I was clocked at 74 . I explained to the officer that I was not aware of my speed and that the car was a rental and I was still familiarizing myself to the features of the car and had just left the airport , but was certainly not intentionally trying to break the law . None the less I received a citation . I would have been just as remorseful with a warning , as I had only been in Florida less than a half an hour , and had yet to travel more than 2 miles. I have since paid the violation as it would add to more expense to fly back to contest it in person .
What I am asking is , and I am well aware of the consequences of speeding and the overwhelming increase in population during certain vacation times and the extra dangers that may arise, but my wife and I are not 'Spring Breakers" cruising the streets, nor was I pushing the limit on the Interstate trying to make time , we were in an off season, in no hurry and of little to no traffic at the time .
This is not meant to be a criticism and it still is no reason to allow
speeding ,yet I tryed to show my regrets to the officer, as it was still not my intention to deliberately speed .
My request is to please refer this to the officers and to persuade them into using a bit more discretion and summarize the situation a bit more logically before hastily issuing a ticket . Once again I don't think that I had traveled more than a total of 2 miles ,and certainly was not deliberately trying to break the law ,endanger myself or place anyone else in Harm's way .
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. It may have been a bit unusual to receive but I hope you can understand my meaning and why I am upset .
listed below is my contact information if you would be kind enough to send a reply .
Thank You ,

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
The thing I've noticed about the recent, well-publicized, tragic police encounters is they all escalated from a failure to comply with a legal order. The way to avoid a tragic outcome is to obey lawful orders. Or, if its an unlawful order, obey it and take up the challenge later. There!! That's my rant. :-x
exactly!!!!!

I have been harassed by sheriffs where I had to leave the state till my court date but I never let them get me to where they had a reason to cuff me but searched my car and trunk nightly. They even pulled over my mother once when see was driving my car for no reason. Hands on the steering wheel, Yes sir, then keep my mouth shut till asked a question. I've never been hit by an officer or seen anybody else beaten in 55 years. Now my house has an alley I have to go through to get to my gate for parking and have been stopped 4 or 5 times in my El Camino for no reason but they think I'm doing drugs I'm sure but whatever. I'd rather be pulled over for no reason than not having an officer around when I need him or her.

If your not doing or have anything to get you busted it's just part of a day these days. An officer has no idea what he's walking into anymore so I can't blame them one bit.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I have a sheriff's sub-station near my house, about 300 yards away. I've never been over there, even though I've lived here since 1977. It's also a fire dept station. I've been stopped twice in the past year. The first time, it was because one of my back-up lights was on ( bad socket in my pickup) Very nice cop, who wanted to let me know the problem & asked me to get it fixed. Clear lights on the rear are illegal etc.
The second time was in my '75 El Camino. Turned out that a tail light was out, from a POS after-market lamp socket. He told me the problem & asked that I fix it. Wanted to see my license, for his report, but not my insurance or registration. Turned out to be a really good guy too !
Hopefully there are many like him out there ....

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I believe that was by...

Keyser? I remember watching some of the videos while riding my AirDyne! It was awhile back! :dontknow:

So far, I haven't been able to determine who Hotrodelco is referring to in his post, and I've so far found no record of a post containing a reference to "...History of Hot Rodding...", or any bans/suspensions related to a post about this subject. I have a call in to Ralph, and I will get to the bottom of this. I need to know the circumstances, and I can't determine why something like this could occur without the surrounding facts. So, please bear with me while the investigation continues. Although the Forum's policy is to not discuss suspensions/bans, I will tell what facts I can, consistent with the Forum policy, as I find them................Ken

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sorry to hear of Linda's encounter but I certainly understand the rant. Thankfully, I have had very positive experiences with LEOs. My Goddaughter's husband is an LEO in New Jersey and my new license plate will reflect his badge number. But, just like any group, whether it be military, LEO, this forum, etc there will always be those with a personal agenda or who otherwise do not positively represent their association. Sad, but true. As for you being banned in Belton, this is the land of the free and the home of the brave. Ralph, I'll see you there even if it's on a picket line. :smile2:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I have a sheriff's sub-station near my house, about 300 yards away. I've never been over there, even though I've lived here since 1977. It's also a fire dept station. I've been stopped twice in the past year. The first time, it was because one of my back-up lights was on ( bad socket in my pickup) Very nice cop, who wanted to let me know the problem & asked me to get it fixed. Clear lights on the rear are illegal etc.
The second time was in my '75 El Camino. Turned out that a tail light was out, from a POS after-market lamp socket. He told me the problem & asked that I fix it. Wanted to see my license, for his report, but not my insurance or registration. Turned out to be a really good guy too !
Hopefully there are many like him out there ....

I have a sub station straight across the street and most the cops stopped by while I was working on the truck on the street in front of my house. Not a one questioned the 509 motor just showed me pictures of their rides. Got pulled over by an undercover parking the car but he just wanted to look at it also. It's that alley but I have never seen any drug deals going down in 10 years.

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
I Have Found The Source...................

My friends, I am limited as to what I can say about this occurrence, but here are the facts I can relate. The "video clip" was almost 1 1/2 hours of old-time drag racing. I watched the entire "clip" and saw images of 2 El Caminos. While I enjoyed most of what I watched, and the racing music that accompanied the "clip", it was video material I would have expected to find on any number of other web sites. Taken alone, the "video clip" would most probably have received a warning about the content not being El Camino related material. However, this was only the last of many more blatant non-El Camino postings that had been warned about.

I'll leave the subject with the admonition that, most times, things are not at all as they seem at first blush. Your site Moderators and Administrators try to fairly administer the posting rules that have been formed through much experience over the past 14 plus years. Users of our web site have certain expectations of what they will see when they log onto elcaminocentral.com, and we strive every day to meet those expectations. And, just because a member has been a contributor of long standing, has the ability to stimulate the imagination, and has a large support section, that member cannot be allowed to flout the rules that everyone else must adhere to. There are times that the Moderators, no matter how unpopular the action, must step in to right the ship. If those actions ever seen out of step with reality, my eMail remains
[email protected], and my phone number is still 817-999-3821. While I may not be able to answer all of your concerns, I would be glad to hear from you..................Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.