El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over @ Deals on Wheels yesterday and checked in on what they had for elky's. Some one had converted a 1955 Chevrolet coupe, or station wagon, and is advertising it as an elCamino. They say it is not GM made, but still imply it could be a lost version. Similar to the mythical '61 elCamino. How do you all feel about these modified conversions, or misleading examples touting the "elCamino" name?

·
Registered
314 Posts
i've seen them before on ebay, i don't like them calling them an el camino, because they're not an el camino. i also think they look kinda dumb, and would rather have a wagon w/its top on.

·
Banned
881 Posts
What about the Cadillac Flower Cars, the Dodge Rampage, or the Subaru Brat? They aren't an El Camino either, but people will equate them to one. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is true that some manufacturers have followed a similar formula to the elCamino/ Ranchero vehicles. Volkswagon had a version, as well as , Dodge, Subaru, and other manufacturers. These were production vehicles manufactured by auto makers on a specific platform, for a specific purpose, not named elCamino.
I'm talking about chopping down an '89 Chevy Citation, adding sheet metal to form a bed and claiming it is the last lost version of elCamino. I'm talking about advertising a rare collectors 1961 elCamino SS. Or in this case a 1955 elCamino when none existed.
I've seen these vehicles, and just wanted to guage everybody's reaction. Thanks for your imput, and I wanted to clarify my question.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If it is not an Elky then it is not an Elky! I saw a 91 Caprice chopped to look El Camino-ish. Actually it did look pretty sharp. I don't remember the owner saying it was an Elky or making a claim about it being some lost genre. I do remember that he stated he wished GM would (back then) start making Elkys from the Caprice.

People shouldn't try to dupe someone into thinking they have something rare and authentic when in fact it is not. "You can put your boots in the oven, that don't make em' briskets!"

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Although I've seen some really nice looking customized TRI-FIVES, they are not some long lost version of the El Camino. If you come across one of these customized versions for sale, and you like it, then go for it. Me, I'm still looking for that one SOLID GOLD El Camino that GM made. I know it exists, I've heard the rumors! It only had one horn though and was last seen on some cargo ship owned by some guy named Noah! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts