El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just started having issue with starting on my 72, what's happening is when I turn the ignition forward to start the truck it wont do anything as if the battery is dead or the starter is bad but once I bring the key back just a tad it will crank and start just fine. my guess is the ignition switch what you guys think?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That's why I like the 68s the best out of this series, no column switch. Sounds like it needs adjusted. You could also clip the start wires and install a push button.. That's what I'm going to do with my 69..

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Had a similar problem on my wife's 72 Chevelle many years ago. Messed around with it until finally wired in a push button starter. Could be that adjusting the switch mounted low on the column could help, although I think that's part of the neutral safety switch so if too far mis-adjusted might allow it to start in gear. See if you can get a hold of exploded diagrams of the system for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
909 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
DO you have a tilt column ? I noticed when mine is tilted up . I have problems. I will use is as a second antitheft switch until it fails

·
Registered
909 Posts
DO you have a tilt column ? I noticed when mine is tilted up . I have problems. I will use is as a second antitheft switch until it fails
Things to look for with that issue would be mis-adjustment of the switch, bent rod, sloppy key lock or one of those in combination of the switch going bad.

The switch mounting holes are slotted and that's where the adjustment is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why I like the 68s the best out of this series, no column switch. Sounds like it needs adjusted. You could also clip the start wires and install a push button.. That's what I'm going to do with my 69..
I was thinking the same thing to just run a push button start but If I did I would still need to have the key in the ignition wouldn't I?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yes you would need the key to be in the "on" position..

When I installed one on my 64 Bonneville, the starter seemed to spin faster, the old switch must of had some resistance, there's a decent amount of current going through it to engage that solenoid....

My 69 elco has a tilt column also.. Sometimes it seems like I don't have the key switch turned all the way when starting..

Also take into account these switches were only designed to last ten years at best, we're still using them at fifty years.. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts