El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 350 for the ole elky and would like some suggestions on a pair of heads ( keep in mind I'm a very poor 17 year old) or should I just re-do my stock heads (valves guide plates springs retainers) and how mcuh will that run me? Or does anyone have a redone stock pair lying in the corner they don't need beacuse they upgraded? I plan on using flat top pistons and a 274/274 cam about 9.5-10.0:1 compression lookign for around 325+ hp

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might also want to check some local junkyards for the newer style Vortec heads. You'll need a special intake (Edelbrock makes one) for these heads, but they're probably the best stock-type heads Chevy's made. They should be cheap at a junkyard... GM sells them for like $500/pair brand new.

It would probably be cheapest to just get your heads redone with a nice valve job and some mild porting. I'd be wary of local performance shops... if someone is taking a die grinder to my engine, they better damn well know how to use it correctly. I'd only go to a shop if I've seen their work or if they've been recommended.

·
Registered
19 Posts
look on ebay. there are refinished GM heads with performance springs, multi-angle valves, hardened exhaust seats and all the standard rebuild stuff done to them like mag flux and bead blast or hot tank. i found a pair of SBC heads for 'buy it now' $350 with all of the above and more. free shipping too. ebay. ebay ebay. if your heads ar in good shape or they are something special (?) and youd like to do it yourself, buying necessary parts from Sumit might be cheaper.

wes

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
A brand new set of Vortec heads "packed" with holes that work with pre-vortec engines can be purchased from Jim Pace performance for just under $500.00. That is about the best price I have seen.

The Vortec heads are really good heads and will help produce up to 400 Hp. as they come out of the box. They can be modified to deal with a Cam lift of over .5"

These don't require the vortec intake and center bolt valve covers. Other than that I'd go with either Edlebrock RPM or AFR 195c. Edlebrock are pretty inexpensive for ported and polished Aluminum Heads. AFR heads will produce about 30 horse power more than the Edlebrock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought a pair of World S\R Torquer heads. They have the same combustion chamber, intake runner and valve sizes as the famous "double hump" factory castings. They are also made thicker in the crack prone areas. Completly assembled and ready to bolt on they run around $750.00 a pair. The vortech heads are a good deal also but they have some limitations. I know the vortechs require special rocker arms, valve covers and intake manifold. The valve lift is also limited unless you buy different springs. The aftermarket is developing for the vortechs so you might research a little. My info is from 2 years ago when I did my 350. Check out www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com the shipping is free.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I almost forgot a 268 grind cam is the biggest you can run with a stock torque converter. The reason I had to buy aftermarket heads is my 441 casting heads were cracked. My machine shop said 90 percent of stock heads are cracked. If you do go with stock heads be sure to have them Magnafluxed before you put any money in them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey kid, i'm 20. what you need to do is leave your **** alone and don't worry about performance and go for reliability. If you wanna go fast you have to spend a lot of money, it sucks. But a good set of heads will cost you less than 600 bucks, if you don't have 600 bucks to blow, keep stock heads with a basically stock rebuild. man i'm drunk.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if you can get vortex heads for that finished price go for it, they do flow well, otherwise the junk yard is your best friend, 305 heads, 3 angle valve job,1.90 intake , 1.60 exhaust, new edlebrock springs from summit(used to be $30.)mill'um 10 to 20 thousands and watch the baby pick -up, if you still have cash, hei dist. with hot coil. comp extreme cam 486 lift for rump or rv grind for mild.roller rockers 1.6in, 1.5ex, I've used this combo 3 times and works like a charm.....good luck, happy wrenching

1 - 9 of 9 Posts