El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a post I want to be typing because I’m pretty sure I already know the answer. So my ‘76 has a 400 sbc with a 4 barrel qjet. She was overheating (I didn’t think too bad) but my idiot light isn’t connected to the sender so it didn’t light up. Turns out I had a sticking thermostat that I changed. I cranked her up and no more overheating but blowing plumes of white smoke out of the drivers side exhaust. Then I checked my oil and yes it looks like chocolate milk. Dammit man I didn’t want to see that. I’m guessing I blew a head gasket. So here’s my dilemma. I don’t have the money to pay someone to do it and this is my daily driver so I’m gonna attempt to tackle the jump b myself. I am pretty good with a wrench but I’ve never done this before. Does anyone have any advice for me or think there is anything simpler I should check before tearing down the engine? I always like to check the simple things first but I’m afraid there is no simple fix here. Any tips, advice, warnings or anything at all is appreciated. Thank in advance

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
282 Posts
Jeez ,no one replied,huh.wow . so I guess you already learned there is way more to doing head gaskets then just turning wrenches. There's tourqe settings,specific bolt tighten patterns,weather or not head is warped due to overheated,as well as block, and lots more. Recommend you research to know the tools, steps,etc. Maybe do it with someone who has done them before,or consider paying a local shadetree mechanic.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,834 Posts
Wow that is weird no one replied.

but you are correct there is a ton involved in doing it correctly, it’s not just turning wrench’s all though there is quite a bit of it to do.

have you finished it already?

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
282 Posts
Hi jkcamino,love your "klrmino" .
Did "I" finish?? No.
I was not original poster of thread,just commenting. I I was surprised that no one responded to him to tell him that it's a little bit more involved then just taking the head off and replacing the gasket and bolting it back

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was a little disappointed also but I decided to get with a friend who is a mechanic and we just finished building a new engine. Went with another 400sbc bored to 406. Nice nasty cam and a holley brawler 750 double pumper. I’ve learned a ton in the last few months and looking forward to swinging tje new engine this weekend. Have to replace motor mounts first. Here’s a few pics. Thanks for y’all’s input.

Attachments

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,608 Posts
5 - 6 months. I know you suffered during those long months without her

1 - 9 of 9 Posts