El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey so I got 1982 el Camino with 5.0l 305
I rebuilt the cylinder heads recently and putting it all back together and starting it
it wouldn't start. It sounded like something was hitting the valves and so I re adjusted the valves and it got bit better but still has the hitting sound and I don't really know what to try now. I also put new lifters and valves aswell

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Did you prime the oil pump until you had oil coming out of the rockers?

If not then lifters may be partially collapsed and turning it over pumps them up to where they are too tight.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
If it was me I'd back the rockers off, pull the distributor and spin the pump with a drill until I got oil out of the lifters/push rods then adjust the lifters.

·
Deputy Director Region 8
2,731 Posts
How are you adjusting the valves?. A flat tappet hydraulic cam I am assuming,, what is your method to adjust the valves and how much are you tightening the valve lash?.

·
Premium Member
10,198 Posts
Hi goldjames, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 82 El Camino. Where abouts are you located? Have fun with your 82 El Camino and the community.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I adjusted them by putting 1 cylinder on tdc and tightening them till no play in rod and then 2 90 degree turns

And then turning crank 90 and starting on next cylinder on firing order. I'm new to working on cars and that's just what I learned from online.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,620 Posts
I adjusted them by putting 1 cylinder on tdc and tightening them till no play in rod and then 2 90 degree turns

And then turning crank 90 and starting on next cylinder on firing order. I'm new to working on cars and that's just what I learned from online.
ok, so it sounds like you did a half-turn tighten past the no-play, correct?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've built a dozen SBC engines complete and rebuilt top end of many more. There's more to valve lash than just putting # 1 on TDC. Half round is way too much! There are specific valves that you adjust when #1 is at TDC. Then rotate the engine 1 full turn to get #6 at TDC. Do it this way after you prime the engine:

Get #1 to Top Dead Center

Exh.- 1 - 3 - 4 -8

Int.- 1- 2 -5 - 7

Get #6 to Top Dead Center

Exh.- 2 - 5 - 6 - 7

Int.- 3 - 4- 6 - 8

Adjust until pushrod will not spin between fingers and then add ¼ turn and tighten nut

You will only turn the engine 2 times. To Get TDC #1 and TDC #6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts