El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the weather is going to be perfect this weekend in the midwest. My son in and I will hit three self serve Junkyards in metro St Louis

Taylors - know for great buys. I've found more diamonds in the rough here than anywhere. Excellent buffet of GM mid size cars. You get all you can carry discounts. Good turn over.

U-Wrench it - Pricey but a place you can take your wife or grilfriend. Excellent buffet of parts for my sons 85 Ford Truck. Best turnover.

Speedway - The biggest in the area. Excellent buffet of GM cars. Seen lots of MonteSS's and police Caprices. You have to get there when they come in for best pick. Older cars there too but well picked over. Passed on plucking several late model 8.5" posis (truck and Caprice).

You guys got any requests let me know and I will look. Not promising to ship anyone a G-body 8.5" if I find one! :lol:

How about the rest of the country, does anyone have it as good as we do in St. Louis? Might be worth a road trip. :wink:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Mecheng;

Please add these to items to your list if'n you happen to spot them...

I need an 83-88 GN or Monte console in decent shape, preferably maroon in color (but I can dye it if I have to) or a dash cluster with a tach (need the filter too).

Thanks 87SS

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look and see what I come up with. I have not seen any 84+ Turbo regs at the junkyard yet and I have been looking hard. Do you need the whole instrument cluster or just tach? I found me a back up cluster w/tach from an '80 Monte Carlo along with console and auto shift linkage. I paid $20 for the handfull at Taylor's. Might be table to find a usable tach in a cutlass too. Gauge clusters without the Tach can always be found.
TECF - That's a good one I usually find about 3 or 4 Elkys but don't ever recall seeing a manual tranny but then I haven't really been looking for one. Ham n chees it is :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a great weekend to go shopping. Taylors gets the award for the most Elkys with one 68, three 4th generation and four 5th generation.
None were manual shift, all automatic. U-wrench-It had a nice 87 Cutlass tach but compared to a Monte clock the tach face on the Cutluss was about 5/16 -3/8 too small. Of course it is GM and the guts would be same but didn't know if you wanted to fool with that.
Speedway didn't turn much since I was there last and the one new Monte had the tach plucked already.

Probabaly won't get a chance to go shopping again until the end of May. I have to go to China and will be turkey hunting for three weeks when I come back

Here are some pics

·
Registered
76 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a complete set of Wheel Well Mouldings (for 78 -87) still in the General's packaging. Make me an offer.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my trip business trip to Shanghai/Qingdao got cancelled due to the SARS epidemic so it looks like I will be able to hit the yards again this coming weekend. 8) 87SS keep your finger crossed, it's suppose to rain this weekend and the muddier it is the better the huntin'. It keeps all the ametuers at home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IF YOU HAVE NOT GONE YET, i AM LOOKING FOR A WIRING (COMPUTER) HARNESS FOR A 90-92 MUSTANG GT ALONG WITH A COMPUTER .I have had no luck in the east coast

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Welp. talked the boss into letting me take half a day off today. Going to check out a new (to me) yard north of the city. I'll keep everyone posted if I run across anything of interest... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
gauges in pics

Mecheng, the gauges in the pics do you remember what they were in? If they mere a Monte I understand all you have to do is repin does that sound right? trying to get my 81 finished took a v6 out putting in sb400 and 700r. trying to do something for gauges and find someone willing to put my exhaust out the back from the headers but one shop here (Alabama) just got a $15,000 fine levied for modifying exhaust and everyone is scared to touch a car anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did not make it to the junkyard my honey do list got the best of me that day.

Stang32 - I don't really look for Mustangs so I,m not sure what's avaible. The yards I go to don't bid much for cars so you usually don't see any late models unless they're torched. Anything around 10 years old and under is hard to find.

Falcon65 - Those gages were in a 87 Gutless. The speedo and tach are about 10mm smaller in diameter and won't fit a Monte.

Next trip to the junkyards will be afer turkey season May, 18th.

Spent this last weekend cleaning up the Elky for my son's high school show . He's organized their first car show ever. Unfortunately rained out. Daughter at the wheel dreaming.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is kindof a random....and big request, but did you happen to see any TPI setups? Im lookin to do a conversion from carb to tpi this summer on my elky, kinda lookin around for prices, i'd need the distributer, computer, and fuel pump, as long as all the other hardware....TIA

Also, need a wiring harness, similar to http://www.howell-efi.com/wiring_kits/mpi_tpi_index.html Just wonderin if they have em over there :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I see them on 305's and some 86-90 Chevy truck (vans and subs)350's. I dont' really want to spend any more than 30 minutes foraging for parts. So simple request please!

80's Camaros and Firebirds with 305s are a dime dozen, the wiring harness would be any easy find.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts