El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Fam,
I read alot of comments on adding headers, man getting me nervous 馃槗. The Mistress will be getting headers in a couple weeks. I've looked in Summits & Jegs, used make model, year. I have some picked out, Long tube & shorty. Any guidance out here I'm ready to copy. Thanks in advance guys
Mr. Chunk

Director, Region 2
My 65 is the first car I have ever had with headers. They have to be tightened regularly. Changing spark plugs is a very tough job and routing the plug wires is terrible. I can't wait to get up the money to get manifolds.I thought it was cool when I bought the car but that ended.

Registered
Headers are strictly a race car part. The trouble they cause isn't worth it.. Besides they many mechanical issues they bring, they also heat the interior up.
Those X pipes are also guilty of heating the interior and transmission up. Both headers and X pipes are bad ideas if your goal is a good running, trouble free street ride that sounds great...

Premium Member
I had no choice about headers on my LS swap engine. The stock LS exhaust manifolds would not fit between the frame rails on my A-body El Camino.

But headers would fit easily. Problem solved. And with 38 degree F air measured at the center vent from my Classic Auto AC system, any passenger compartment heating from the headers is of little consequence.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
myself, I went with the shorties just for the ground clearance, speed bumps can be rough on long tube headers.

Registered
I installed Headman headers on my Caballero. I don't remember which online place I bought them from. I recommend searching their website for the proper part number for your project.
As Leo said, spark plug tightening, spark plug wire routing and periodic bolt tightening can be an issue. I don't regret installing them and don't mind giving the Caballero the attention.

Registered
My preference is long tube for the extra HP and Stainless Steel for the looks. You just can't help but have rusty headers if you use plain old mild steel, they're just gonna rust. I installed stainless Hooker headers on my LS3 1982. Didn't have to touch 'em with a hammer at all. We laid the headers in and then lowered the motor which is pretty much what Hooker recommends.

Registered
I installed Headman headers on my Caballero. I don't remember which online place I bought them from. I recommend searching their website for the proper part number for your project.
As Leo said, spark plug tightening, spark plug wire routing and periodic bolt tightening can be an issue. I don't regret installing them and don't mind giving the Caballero the attention.
I'm in the process of replacing the headers put on a couple years ago. The right side kept popping the gasket. I called Hedman direct, and they were really good. They make a set that is designed almost exclusively for the El Camino (and G body) engine compartment. The guy on the phone also steered me to the best cost, since there is a nearly identical set for California cars that will cost an extra $100. I ended up getting a set of HED-68310 headers from Summit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts