El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any good luck with painting headers? I'm looking for a cheap and easy fix.
If so what brand paint and how long has it held up?
Thanks
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
years ago, I had VHT paint on a set and it lasted 8 yrs +

:poke:

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
I have read that this VHT paint will work fine, but it is recommended that you "Bake" it on. If you don't have an oven ( who does!), one way suggested to do this is after the paint is dry, fire up the engine and let it run just until the headers start to get hot, and then shut it off. Let the heat from the headers "bake" the paint. I might even consider doing this in 2-3 stages, each one with the engine getting a little hotter.

I didn't do this, and my paint started to flake off within the year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
header paint

It helps also if you preheat the headers before you paint them. take a torch and insert in in each tube for a few seconds to heat each tube then paint.SIDE

·
Registered
589 Posts
As others have said VHT 1200 works adequately. I'm talking about the silver because black hot paints seem to work as well. I used to use a Duplicolor 1200 degree ceramic paint (silver), the best hot paint I ever came across. It was far superior to the dull, flat, VHT silver finish in that it was glossy. For whatever reason they stopped making it. I even went so far as to email them about it, but they never responded. :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Anyone had any good luck with painting headers? I'm looking for a cheap and easy fix.
If so what brand paint and how long has it held up?
Thanks
Donny
Just curious, have you considered wrapping them with some dark gray or black wrap?

Looks pretty good and helps keep unecessary heat out of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The wrap is a header killer, actually causing the headers to rust faster.

I have no experience with those paints, although I've heard of guys using BBQ grill paint on their headers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The wrap is a header killer, actually causing the headers to rust faster.

I have no experience with those paints, although I've heard of guys using BBQ grill paint on their headers.
You paint them before you wrap them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts