El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:nfire:

can the header panel on my 86 el camino be replaced with one from a grand national or from a ss monte carlo,and if so is it a direct bolt on replacement.
thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey Driver8 - that's my favorite REM song . . .

To answer your question, neither header panel will be a direct bolt-on. The SS Monte nose looks almost identical to the SS El Camino of the same years, but the body lines are different and the mounting holes in the fender will not line up. I would recommend looking for an SS El Camino nose in a junk yard or on E-Bay. I'm sure someone on this website might be able to hook you up with something.

The Grand National nose will require re-aligning and probably some fiberglassing or fabricating / welding to make it work on your car and give it that factory look. The angle of the fender where it meets the header panel is completely different between the GN and the Elky. You would probably have to weld the GN front fender ends to your Elky fenders to make that one fit - major project if you are up to it . . . .

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
To do either, you will need to replace the entire front clip, (header, fenders, hood, bumpers etc.) You will also have to replace the doors so the body lines match. Also, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm sure the Monte SS and the GN headers are wider.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The Monte SS, Regal/GN, Cutlass, Century, Malibu / Elky are all based upon the same basic platform. The size and width should be the same (within tolerances), but as you pointed out, the body lines will not align Even if you used the doors, the quarters will not look right unless they are also grafted on.

What I was suggesting is cutting off the front few inches off the GN fenders and grafting those onto the Elky fenders. Even that would take a lot of finessing to make it look stock. You are right - you would probably need the hood as well unless by some miracle it aligned. The GN bumper may or may not work on the Elky frame withouut modifications.

How about just a used Elky SS nose??

·
Registered
147 Posts
You cannot put a Grand National front clip on an El Camino without first installing a Buick Turbo V6 engine. Otherwise you will be imprisoned for false advertisement. :wink:

Are there any clips to will fit without a lot of work? 78/80 LeMans/Grand Am? 78/80 Buick Century? What other cars shared doors with the Malibu?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
87ElCamino said:
The MCSS header panel wont fit because the El Camino is 1 3/4 inches narrower in the front.
I knew there was a reason people couldn't just bolt an MCSS header up. Most I have heard generally just buy a Choo Choo header from Honest Charley's.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
You cannot put a Grand National front clip on an El Camino without first installing a Buick Turbo V6 engine. Otherwise you will be imprisoned for false advertisement.
Does this mean I should have bolted a Corvette clip to my LT1 elky? :p

·
Banned
881 Posts
b4black said:
Are there any clips to will fit without a lot of work? 78/80 LeMans/Grand Am? 78/80 Buick Century?
Yes on both, if you swap the entire doghouse. I've always wanted to put one of those on an Elky. Fenders are a direct swap. Both use a hood with a hump in the front to match the header panel

What other cars shared doors with the Malibu?
78/80 LeMans/Grand Am and 78-87 El Camino.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts