El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have a 71 with factory 400/402. Since the body, frame is rust free, I went the opposite direction than most. I wanted to start with a suspension system, so went with the Ridetech coil over front/rear. Very easy install. Kit came with tall spindles, so dropped the front 2". I bought a pair of Hooker long tubes. Left side has plenty clearance, but right didn't from header to ground. So, sent that set back, bought another figuring right side was made incorrectly. Installed the 2nd set, right side is way to long to the ground.

Would like ot know if anybody has dropped the front down 2: and what brand of headers fit snug so headers doesn't get smacked..

thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hello All,
I have a 71 with factory 400/402. Since the body, frame is rust free, I went the opposite direction than most. I wanted to start with a suspension system, so went with the Ridetech coil over front/rear. Very easy install. Kit came with tall spindles, so dropped the front 2". I bought a pair of Hooker long tubes. Left side has plenty clearance, but right didn't from header to ground. So, sent that set back, bought another figuring right side was made incorrectly. Installed the 2nd set, right side is way to long to the ground.

Would like ot know if anybody has dropped the front down 2: and what brand of headers fit snug so headers doesn't get smacked..

thanks
I have lowering springs on my 70. Inexpensive Eibach setup I bought years ago. I have a small block in my car, but long tube headers as well. I had to get those cheapy AutoZone spring spacers to raise the front end ever so slightly because the collectors would bottom out if I went over a dip in the road at cruising speeds. Passengers side more than drivers as well. For whatever reason, the PS is always lower. They would also bottom out on a steep driveway. Others may correct me, but you may have to go with mid-length headers so that they don't hang so low. That way you can tuck up the exhaust pipe closer to the body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have lowering springs on my 70. Inexpensive Eibach setup I bought years ago. I have a small block in my car, but long tube headers as well. I had to get those cheapy AutoZone spring spacers to raise the front end ever so slightly because the collectors would bottom out if I went over a dip in the road at cruising speeds. Passengers side more than drivers as well. For whatever reason, the PS is always lower. They would also bottom out on a steep driveway. Others may correct me, but you may have to go with mid-length headers so that they don't hang so low. That way you can tuck up the exhaust pipe closer to the body.
Thank-You for the info... I read some other threads on this. Love the drop/stance on mine.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I think the 68-72 elco looks nice with the front end slightly higher, they used to call this the gasser stance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts