El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 70 Elco and need Headers on an installed zzz 350 crate motor installed in 1987. Brand? Short? Long? Y pipe? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that sounds good I like the long headers too. Did you have to move the engine at all to install them? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
I have long tube tri-Y style headers on my '70.
They may have come off a Silverado/Suburban.
They hang so low that they are thoroughly dented.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks I didn't think of that. Maybe I should try the shorty? What do you think? Thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok that sounds good I like the long headers too. Did you have to move the engine at all to install them? Thanks
I didn't have to move the engine (do remove the spark plugs) but I did have to disconnect the steering shaft at the steering box and move it out the way. I think I also had to remove the clutch linkage. Use some kind of locking header bolts. Changing spark plugs will be difficult in the future. Had no ground clearance problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive got a 70 Elco and need Headers on an installed zzz 350 crate motor installed in 1987. Brand? Short? Long? Y pipe? Thanks!
For my 1970 396 I installed Hedman 68616 headers, which are standard duty, HTC coated, shorty, and finished the system with a Magnaflow 2.5 in system. There was nothing that had to be moved or modified for header installation, but later I moved the brake line for the RF wheel after noticing that it passed within an inch of the header pipe. I don't drive the Elky much, but I am expecting to eventually have issues with the starter solenoid, which is also very close. I have the stock shield in place, but I don't see how that will protect the solenoid in the long run. Ground clearance of the headers would not have been any issue, but I dropped the whole chassis a couple of inches with a new suspension system.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't go with a big tube either, they can hang too low and be visible and get in the way on speed bumps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts