El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1978 El Camino, 383 crate engine, TH350 and a spool in the rear. "The Helamino"
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, a few months ago I bought my El Camino, and its about time for an oil change. When I got my car lifted so I could see what oil filter to get, I noticed my headers are making contact with the oil filter (Don't worry about the went spots in the picture I have taken care of that.) My best idea currently is to use a 2x4 as a lever to bend the headers away just enough to wrap them with some thermo tec wrap. If anyone as any better ideas I would lover to hear them. Thanks again

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi everyone, a few months ago I bought my El Camino, and its about time for an oil change. When I got my car lifted so I could see what oil filter to get, I noticed my headers are making contact with the oil filter (Don't worry about the went spots in the picture I have taken care of that.) My best idea currently is to use a 2x4 as a lever to bend the headers away just enough to wrap them with some thermo tec wrap. If anyone as any better ideas I would lover to hear them. Thanks again

View attachment 136559

·
Registered
433 Posts
Remove the oil filter and "adjust" the area that's near the oil filter with a ballpeen hammer. A better idea is to get headers that fit better and the the collector not so close to the oil filter.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,071 Posts
Agree. Just dimple at the filter. The headers will be hard to bend away but the dimples are easy and will have no effect on the headers at all

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
164 Posts
Is the filter actually touching the header? Cause if it was touching, I would think there would be a scratch all the way around the filter, and I don't see evidence of that. That being said, I have headers as well, and they are close, but don't touch. I would think you could remove the filter, and "Clearance" the header with a hammer, as mentioned. Obviously, a header that close to the oil filter isn't ideal, but even a small clearance space is better than not.....

·
Premium Member
71 El Camino SS
188 Posts

View attachment 136559
Big hammer

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe you can use a smaller diameter filter. My 4WD '92 suburban required a small filter to clear the front drive shaft.
Check that first.

Hans

·
Registered
1978 El Camino, 383 crate engine, TH350 and a spool in the rear. "The Helamino"
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replys, I ended up using a hammer and some heat wrap as a temporary solution. New headers are on the to do list

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,649 Posts
Even with different headers, I'd be tempted to go with a remote filter mount on it too. Would sure make oil changes a lot easier.

Reactions: Hat Trick
1 - 10 of 10 Posts