El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, hey, im new, i drive an '83 conquista. Planning on doing some work on her this summer, was wondering if anyones done what i plan on doing, or if anyone has some tricks/tips/pointers/warnings etc.

First i want to put TPI on my 305, instead of my current carb/intake system, both for performace reasons, and for the experience of doing it. I ran an 11.5 in the 1/8th mile, wet track, i dont want to spend more then about 1-1.5 grand on it right now, because im still in school, and its my main mode of transportation. i plan on getting the TPI setup from a junkard or off ebay. Has anyone put TPI on a previously carb'ed engine before? It should bolt right on is what i've been told, but the wiring and what not is a pain. I want TPI because having all those hoses just doesnt look pretty.

Second, i've been looking into doing headers/sidepipes setup, any reccomendations on headers, will they have any problem just bolting right on and fitting in? I know shorty headers will give a better performance boost, but they are also a lot more expensive then long tube, any woes about either? I know a little here and there about cars/engines, how things work etc, i've just never really done anything this big on my car, i've a friend helping me whose done just about everything. Well, i'll stop the chatter, any ANY help is welcome! YOu can contact me on Instant Messenger if you have that: NauticaBoy02

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
get heads from a tpi motor, and then it shouldn't be a problem for putting a tpi manifold on

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hardware parts the easy part, im more worried about the electrical/wiring/accessories, i've found several different opinions on the web as to how to do it, and if its hard or easy. And i found a wiring harness for like $450, that would probably save me 2-3 days of wiring(3-4 if we're bein realistic cause nothin ever goes as planned)

Just kindof looking for a "yes its a good idea" pitch, its my daily driver, but i want a little more power out of it, and i think tpi would even increase my gas mileage a bit.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
TPI is a little bit better than a Carb but all in all not a lot. Painless sells a Wiring Harness. You could pull the Wiring and Computer from the donor car. The 91 Caprice has the 305 TPI and would be an excellent candidate. However some other mods will be necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts