El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 82 elco with a L98 corvette tpi engine and i wanted some california state legal headers. Do they exist? and if they do where can i buy them?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a 82 elco with a L98 corvette tpi engine and i wanted some california state legal headers. Do they exist? and if they do where can i buy them?
I'm assuming you want a set of full length headers that have the ports on top for the smog pump?

Do they exist, I don't know, but I do know that Corvettes came with shorty headers from the factory that had the ports for the smog the pump. So if you don't mind shorty headers you could find a set of those.

I would go buy whatever set of headers you want and then have someone weld one of these into each side: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-22830/

Then you can hook up your smog pump and not have any problems with passing smog and you'll have a set of headers on your car that nobody else has...:mrgreen:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The shorty headers are similar in layout to the old cast iron rams horn manifolds and dump down near the motor mounts, this isnt an issue in a corvette because the front crossmember is in front of the motor and not under the motor mounts, on Elkys I'm pretty sure that the crossmember would interfere with this sort of header.

Also these headers had tiny primaries and collectors, and IMO arent really desirable for that reason.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hooker and Edelbrock used to make smog legal headers for G bodies. Not sure if they still do. Both systems ran through a single cat then split into a dual exhaust. Neither system was cheap but they did have the magic CARB stamp of approval.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I recently had Hedman #61318 long tube headers installed on my '87. They are 50 state legal and I just received the C.A.R.B. E.O. # sticker for the fan shroud. (I put the sticker on even though I don't live in CA.)

Jim

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
thugz

Because it's kinda traditional here wise azz. :poke:
Ok, Mike.. simmer down. We are supposed to take it easy on the new guys. Get them all relaxed and off their guard. Once that happens ,THEN , we can tell them that we don't take grief from anyone that is confrontational. Everyone likes to read complete words in complete sentences, with proper spelling and puncuation! We all like to see the elkies that you are asking questions about and its just the courtious thing to do. So show us some pics like all the other members do and then go to the gallery and see what we drive. 2012-03-06 16.39.04-1.jpg I'll go first. This is my 87 Elky.:texas:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Plus, without pics showing us your Elky, how do we know you're not a Mopar spy? :neutral2:

Welcome to the group and good luck with the Elky!

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
OK, I'll ask. What's a C.A.R.B. E.O. #?
CARB is California Air Resources Board. The EO# is an exception number that they have issued for aftermarket equipment. If you install headers, intake manifold, etc, that does not have a CARB #, then the emissions examiner can fail the car and require that they be removed.

Edelbrock TES and the above mentioned Hooker are the only ones I know of that are "Legal" for Calif. I think Edelbrock quit making the TES, but you can still find them used.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The TES' have been discontinued and i *think* the Hookers have been also.

If you're looking for the TES, look for a set for a L69/Monte Carlo, they're setup for the larger catalytic converter the Monte SSs came with…

Another reason to NOT live in California.. There would be a massacre in Texas if that crap happened here.:texas: We do have laws, just not as many stoopid ones... for now:dontknow:

·
Registered
196 Posts
CARB is California Air Resources Board. The EO# is an exception number that they have issued for aftermarket equipment. If you install headers, intake manifold, etc, that does not have a CARB #, then the emissions examiner can fail the car and require that they be removed.

Edelbrock TES and the above mentioned Hooker are the only ones I know of that are "Legal" for Calif. I think Edelbrock quit making the TES, but you can still find them used.
Hedman makes the 61318 that are California Legal. These are coated but they also make the same style uncoated that are California Legal. I don't live in California, but I still wanted the CARB EO# sticker for the fan shroud. I emailed them the receipt from the installer along with a picture of the installed headers and they sent me the sticker. You have to check their catalog to be sure that the EO # applies to your year.

Jim

·
Registered
195 Posts
Summit lists those Hedman 61318 as CA legal only for 79–80 and 49 state for the remaining G-body years.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-61318/Application/?query=Year|1987
and Jegs says they're not at all.

Not sure a smog guy would even bother as long it has the EO # and AIR fittings but you also never know as CA gets more desperate for ways to wring cash from its productive citizens.

and Jarhead, outside of the weather here, you're preachin' to the choir…

1 - 20 of 26 Posts