El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a set of long tube headers to install in my 87 while I am replacing the 305 with 350 and have it out of the car. I dont really want to have to dent the headers or notch any frame rails but Im not too worried about a tight fit since Ill be installing them out of the car. It seems like everything Ive read about headers for the el camino are that the fit is terrible so I just want some headers that fit well and arent shorties.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I actually managed to fit a set of chevy truck headers on mine. No bending or notching required, just had to bring them in from the bottom of the car after the engine was in. The only problem is they block my shifting linkage so I can't go lower then drive. But, that can be fixed with some bending I just havn't done that yet.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
Very close to the passenger side control arm but there is room ! The shifter hit a little when in first gear !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and did you have to use the ac bracket that it says is required or were you able to use the factory one?

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
I can't say about the 5th gen but I used Headman on my Big Block 3rd gen with no problems.
You might check with them.
Just a word of advice on new headers. Check the bolts after a few heat cycles to make sure there tight.
Headers are not truly "plug and play".
Nothing more frustrating than a header leak.

·
0 Posts
Im running Hedman's on mine. There is no notching or any modifications required. The only thing I did was slide a a rubber hose on the column linkage to eliminate the the vibration sound against the header,

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,780 Posts
I Used the stock bracket !! The compressor is not on right now but you can see the bracket !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't say about the 5th gen but I used Headman on my Big Block 3rd gen with no problems.
You might check with them.
Just a word of advice on new headers. Check the bolts after a few heat cycles to make sure there tight.
Headers are not truly "plug and play".
Nothing more frustrating than a header leak.
Yea I still need to fix the leak I have on my corvette that has LG headers, Ive lost track at how many times Ive had it on the lift trying to fix exhaust leaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts