El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1980 chevy el camino my headlights will not come on...

I pull the switch to turn my headlights on and my lights will not come on, and at the same time my radio will go out.
I have replaced the switch, the headlights, the dimmer switch, AND i have gone though and cleaned all the grounds i could find...

Any suggestions?
If you believe i missed a ground can you please tell me where the grounds are?
i have cleaned/redone: both headlight grounds, taillight grounds, battery ground, engine ground, and the fuse box ground.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the one that i meant by the fuse ground. Im not sure if that is actually the fuse ground or what it is for, but yes i cleaned that one.

also cleaned the ground for my distributor and some other ground that i think was for the AC (which my car has not had for as long as I owned it but i figured it wouldnt hurt)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No help here but just remember the headache I had with my headlights for a short time, replaced the switch too and just about replaced all the fuses just something I thought I should do and don't ask why but they have been on ever since, (when I turn them on of course) Sorry no help but I also answered since I have a 80 also, Caballero. Michael in Virginia

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took a multimeter fliped the switch on (radio of corse went out) and there is no voltage going to the lights...

then i turned the lights off and the radio comes on, so i disconnect the dimmer switch, then try turning the lights on. the radio goes out again. This makes me think that somewhere between the light switch and the dimmer switch that there is a short or its grounding itself out

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Maybe check the main power wires where they recieve voltage at the starter.If a wire is frayed enough, it will still read voltage , but not have enough amperage for additional power demands.:secret:

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Headlight power is connected to starter at the same terminal as the battery. There is also a fuse link in the wire, but I dont think the link is your problem. You might check the connection to be sure it is making good contact, and wire is not frayed.

Tim

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Do the lights turn on when the key is off?
Check the fusable links at the starter solenoid,they may look good but give them a tug to see if one will stretch,or the insulation may look deformed on the fusable link.Another test you can try is to pull the headlight fuse then turn the key on, then turn on the lights to see if the radio quits.If the radio stays on your problem is most likely in the light circuit, again possibly the fusable link.
There may be other possibilities but this is where I would start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts