El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 el camino conquista and it has the tilt wheel. Its my daily driver and just a few dayas ago i started having a wierd problem. When i go to turn my headlights on in the morning by pulling the knob on the dashall the way out, only the parking lights come on. So i pulled the blinker lever back for the high beams, and they come on but they stay on. I flashed the high beam lever and by doing that the normal headlights come on but the high beams stay on... After a few minutes the high beams just turn off and the headlights are back to normal and i can use the knob on the dash and it works fine, but then if i use the brights they stay on again. I have no idea why? A switch in the column? Blinker lever switch? A rod to engage or push a switch of some sort? Need help...

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Sounds like a bad dimmer switch. It is located on the drivers side of the column. Take the 4 screws out that hold the column cover and you can get access to it. It will have three wires, yellow (feed from HL switch), Light green (high beam), tan(low beam).
The HL switch is working or you wouldn't have anything.
When you replace it you will have to play with the adjustment to get it just right.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Either a sticky switch or poor adjustment. The linkage between the lever and the switch can get bound up with wires or a dropped screw. Make sure everything is moving freely.

If the tilt wheel is loose it will screw up several things including the shifter. The screws come loose and the springs break so take a close look at that too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a similar HI/LO problem, but with slightly different symptoms for about 2 months. I tried jiggling my headlight and HI/LO switches during that time, sometimes things seemed to work, sometimes not. Then I tried jiggling/tilting the steering wheel. For now, that has completely fixed it. My guess is that is that the tilt had been pinching a wire. My whole tilt/column is kind of screwed up from the previous owner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody! That helps a little, ill take a look at all that and hope its an easy fix... My school vehicle services teacher said something about being a combination switch in the column because the blinker/brights lever doesnt click anymore when you pull it back to operate hi and low beams

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So im hearing its either dimmer switch or combination switch. Im hopeing its only the dimmer switch but i heard it Is the combination switch because the lever wont click when pulling hi/lo beams...

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
The combination switch only serves as the lever to move the rod that works the dimmer switch as far as the headlights are concerned. Changing it will get you no where with the headlights. Drop the column cover, loosen the two 5/16 head screws that hold the dimmer switch and move it up and down until it will click back and forth to change the low/high beams. If it won't then a new dimmer switch will be required and still need adjusting to work correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts