El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 77 El Camino is having a strange lighting problem. When I turn on the lights, the high & low beams come on. I replaced the floor switch for the high beam selector & it made no difference.

The other thing is - the blue indicator on the dash for the high beams works along with the switch.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slimjimga said:
Hi all,

My 77 El Camino is having a strange lighting problem. When I turn on the lights, the high & low beams come on. I replaced the floor switch for the high beam selector & it made no difference.

The other thing is - the blue indicator on the dash for the high beams works along with the switch.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Jim sound like you have a short to battery +, try turning on the headlights then unplug the floor switch, do you still have both beams? If so start playing around with the wires that lead down to the switch, keep an eye on the headlamps while you do this and see if you get any kind of flicker or change etc. The wires that lead down to the dimmer switch usally give the most problems and take the most abuse, don't be afraid to pull twist etc. If that dosen't show any result, try unpluging the headlight switch, that should make both beams go out right away.
let me know how it goes.
Dave

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good chance it's one of the ground wires coming off one of the headlights.
1, Remove both headlights.
2, Pull the headlight switch on.
3, Measure with a meter or tester, the green wire (low beam) to a clean frame ground.
4, Measure with a meter or tester, the tan wire (high beam) to a clean frame ground.
You should have 12 volts on only one of the wires depending on how your floor dimmer switch is selected.
5, Hit the floor dimmer switch to the other position.
6, Repeat steps 3 & 4.
If this checks out the dimmer switch circuit is working.
7, Measure each headlight socket black wire to clean frame ground with an ohmmeter. One of them sounds like it is open. Either where it screws on to the core support or it's a bad socket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts