El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got my 82 Elky the day before Father's Day as you all know, and I have just recently started driving it at night since I got my temps. However, when I have my lowbeams on, it's as if I'm driving with a penlight in front of my car. My highbeams work fine, and it's not the bulbs. When the lowbeams are on though, my highbeams glow. I was told that I have a bad ground somewhere, but I have only found 4 grounds total, that I have cleaned, and it doesn't seem to help. I have the 2 grounds up front that are for the actual headlights, the battery ground, and the one up by the cab that's for the engine. Am I missing any? If not, what else should I look into?

·
Banned
881 Posts
There are two grounds for the headlights, one ground for each side. The driver side headlight ground (G119) is attached to the driver side fender. The passenger side headlight ground (G120) is attached to the passenger side fender. I don't think you have a ground problem.

A real good possibility is the headlight dimmer switch. It's located in the steering column. It may be bad. It switches the 12V from low beams to high beams.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
39 Posts
any car has 3 main ground points: from the battery ground to the motor, battery ground to the frame, and battery ground to the body. it calls for all 3 because the engine and frame are mounted in rubber,and different things a re grounded to them. check the body ground and if you can't find one (it usually looks like bare wire in a strand,like rope mounted to the firewall or fenders), make a tempory one with a jumper cable lead directly from the negative battery to anywhere on the metal of the frame and check your lights then,see if it works. if it does, you have a weak frame ground. you can also check for a weak ground with a ohm meter, check from ground(battery) to your frame/engine/body and if the resistance is greater than .02-.03 ohms, then that would indicate what ground you could be lacking on. i don't think it could be the dimmer switch, if i recall, that switch switches positive current through it,and would not affect ground,due to the headlights being grounded up in the engine compartment. hope this helps, 77elky

·
Registered
481 Posts
87ElCamino, Where did the diagram come from?, shop manual? if so which one? I'd like to pick one up.
Thanks

·
Banned
881 Posts
77Elky said:
...i don't think it could be the dimmer switch, if i recall, that switch switches positive current through it,and would not affect ground,due to the headlights being grounded up in the engine compartment.
The high beams and the low beams use the exact same ground wire connections (G119 and G120). If it was a bad ground connection then neither the high or low beams would work. 82Ellie said that his high beams work fine so it can't be a ground problem.

82Ellie, Have you taken a voltmeter and checked for 12V at the low beam connector with the headlights on?

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you taken a voltmeter and checked for 12V at the low beam connector with the headlights on?
No, I haven't actually. I guess I'll have to track someone down who has one. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts