El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined and wanted to ask question for anyone that has a 1980 or close. I am trying to restore my car for my son and we removed the headliner. I purchased the new material, glue, etc...but see that most of the forums talk about there being a cardboard backer. We did not have that under our fabric and it was still partially attached to the metal roof of the car.

Is that normal? When looking for replacement parts I saw where you can order them with the backer, but I don't see "just the backer" anywhere. I need to know if I need to buy one now so it lasts longer, attach the new liner directly to the metal roof or if anyone has an idea of how to make one from wood at Home Depot.....

thanks,

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Buy the correct part. They're on ebay and at all g body vendors, like dixie monte carlo, opgi, honest charlies, etc. Don't use wood or anything else that could become a guillotine in an accident!

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,604 Posts
There's a contoured "shell" to which the headliner fabric attaches. The original shell, as mentioned, was a thin, fragile foam material. You'll have to do some searching, but I've seen foam, ABS plastic and fiberglass reproductions available. Some of the vendors I dealt with in the past are Honest Charley's Speed Shop and Original Parts Group, but there are others.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone...We are very anxious and would have went the wrong way on just gluing it to the roof. We just changed sterring columns yeasterday and all the interior trim has been removed, some dyed and some bought....

Doing something with the seat will be our next mission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts