El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
84 with cloth with seatbelt through the headrest. I managed to get everything apart, but have yet to figure out how to remove the headrest. I have the seat cover mostly removed, but am stalled there.
thanks.
84Pacecar
Vermont "Where the wild things are".

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your headrest on metal coming out of the top of the seat?
I removed the plastic trim piece that is held by 2 screws that sits on the fabric. There is a white molded plastic piece that is attached to the metal frame. It looks like the metal shaft of the headrest slides down inside this plastic piece. I have tried the suggestion above. Used part of a hacksaw blade. Covered the teeth with tape. Slid the blade down on the backside of the headrest. Push, pull, slide side to side. tried every angle. Still attached! Must be me. I set it aside. Any idea’s why I am having so much difficulty? Thanks

· Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Here's a pic of what I use to get mine to slide out.
Wrench Tableware Hand tool Wood Ratchet

It's a former kitchen tool. It's a inch and a quarter wide. The blade is 6 inches long from the bottom to the bend in the blade. I push the tool down the back of the metal of headrest and that gets the headrests released.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After trying several times to dislodge the headrest using 2 hacksaw blades taped together, I decided to remove the seat cover so I could see the workings. Once I had lifted it up over the back of the frame, it was simple. Perhaps part of the problem is the plastic insert that the sear post rides in. Mine is broken and allowed lots of side to side movement. Anyone know if they are still available? Thanks.

· Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,856 Posts
Here's a pic of what I use to get mine to slide out.
View attachment 153361
It's a former kitchen tool. It's a inch and a quarter wide. The blade is 6 inches long from the bottom to the bend in the blade. I push the tool down the back of the metal of headrest and that gets the headrests released.
Great. Looks like a ‘spatula’. I will see what the Wife has in the kitchen…..when she is not around!
that's basically a cake frosting spatula, you can buy small ones in the kitchen tool section of your local grocery store

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up releasing it by going through the back door. I am removing the seat covers. Working from the bottom, I slowly slid the fabric up to the top.
Once I had done that, it was easy to see the clip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts