El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten the engine(305) tore all the way down to just the block and heads on the engine stand. I have all the bolts that i can find and i promise you that i have fished around in the sludge to find any more. I also have all of the push rods out and properly secured. I can not seem to get the right passenger side head to budge at all. Ihave taken a steel pipe coated with rubber and hit it with a hammer and nothing? Are there any secrets that someone could tell me? Is this a common thing to happen to old engines? Is it safe to try and pry them off? I haven't tried the other side yet so I do not know if I will run into the same problem or not. I did a lot in one day and decided to call it quits' after the heads would not come off.

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
There are 8 head bolts. Be sure you have them all out. The head may require a little prying to get loose. Here is a pic of the bolts and retorque sequence.

Tim

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
check on each end there is a bolt by the oil drain back holes,
there shorter i think and they get covered up with sludge sometimes.
heads do get stuck purdy good sometimes..how many bolts did you find??:texas: hint theres more than 8,, thats a v6..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I realized that is a v6 I'll have to step out in the garage to see how many bolts I actually pulled but I'm sure that I got them all. I dug around in the sludge for a while and rechecked and rechecked and the story goes on and on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went out and counted the bolts and there is 13 that I pulled out. I cannot find anymore unless the lifters need to come out which I'm pretty sure they are not suppose to and buy your post(picture) JJLT1 it looks like I'm suppose to find 17? That does not seem possible, Unless I am blind.

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Sorry, that was the wrong pic.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There are definitely 17. You wouldn't be the first guy to ruin a head and a block by brute forcing the head off with some of the bolts still tight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me go ahead and say it myself. I'm a dumbass!!! The last four mystery bolts where right in front of my face in between the lifters. I don't know how after the many times searching for bolts that I missed them but went out again determined to find 17 total bolts and there they were, not covered in any sludge or anything sitting there pointing at me and laughing. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Let me go ahead and say it myself. I'm a dumbass!!! The last four mystery bolts where right in front of my face in between the lifters. I don't know how after the many times searching for bolts that I missed them but went out again determined to find 17 total bolts and there they were, not covered in any sludge or anything sitting there pointing at me and laughing. Thanks for the help guys.
Definitely not a dumbarse. You asked before going ahead and trashing something.

:beer: x 10

1 - 13 of 13 Posts