El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear of an early chevy small block head that is refered to as an "882" head? cus i aquired a set and they are suppose to be a good head but damned if i know what the diffeerence is in them and the heads i pulled off the 350 i am rebuilding. I am taking them to machine shop tommorrow, so i can finish engine this weekend and put engine in wedsnesday. Supposivaly they are suppose to be a performance style head, but the valves are 1.94 and not 2.02, so what is the difference? Or is there any. Didn't buy them got them from a guy that owed my father a favor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the casting # is 333882 what I've read and seen is these heads came out in 1975 are a lighter cast heat and are prone to cracking. they tend to run hot and have a have a double heat riser passage. hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yeah that is the casting number, got online and did some digging, half people say they are awesome for use, others say they not so awesome. But i gotta use what i got for now so gonna get em machined, just have to buy more later, cus i already got vacation in and finishing putting engine togather this weekend for install weds or thursday

·
Registered
36 Posts
You all seem knowledgable about heads. So I thought I would ask a few questions pertaining to 'heads" in this post. Where is the casting number on the heads? Can it be reached and read while in the car?

I want to research the reason why the previuos owner of my 79 Elky had a 350 w/ 305 heads. To quote him "The 305 heads have smaller combustion chambers which gives you higher compression and a little more power." Is this true?

Anyhow, with the current 305 heads, the valve seals leak oil from the
valve cover on top of the head down the valve shaft into the combustion
chamber. It uses a quart of oil every 750 miles.

I was thinking of just purchasing a new set of heads, and was wondering if I should stay with 305's or go with 350 heads? Perhaps there is another way of fixing this? have the 305's machined?

Anyhow, as you can tell, I don't know much of this stuff, and any advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
workNprogress said:
Supposivaly they are suppose to be a performance style head, but the valves are 1.94 and not 2.02
882 are 76cc heads, stock on a 74 sb 350, certainly not a performance head. But you can make them work. Have the shop open those valves up tp 2.02 and 1.6, do a little port work and you'll be good to go. Got a pair on my newly completed 355, she's running ~425 hp at the flywheel with 10:5:1 compression.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solved problem

Well i solved the whole 882 problem, I went down to the GM Perormance shop, and bought thier Vortec head kit. Comes with 2 brand new Vortec heads with springs up to .550 lift, rocker arms, Edelbrock Air Gap performer intake, head bolts, intake bolts, gaskets....ran my just under 1k, but they are hell of alot better than 882's, and gawd i love the way that Air Gap looks. SO I am on track for engine to be in this time next week....CHEER!!!!! Man I hope it lopes so bad the damn body moves...lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts