El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I've check for leaks under the dash and I've discover that the gasket between the body and the heater box is .. no more, and I can't find it in all the ELKY/chevelle catalogs parts I have. Does anyone had the same problems ? did you find a cure ?
Also I've took off the A/C, and I don't know how to put in place of the huge plastic box who carry the blower. Any idea ?
I've a few A/C parts for sale if someone is interesting in.
Pierre
1975 V8 elky

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
If you are unable to find an OEM gasket, if you remove the box, you should be able to fabricate your own gasket with the same or similar material. Trace the box and start cutting. You should be able to find something suitable to use at Home Depot or any large construction supply outlet. Something like Butyl rubber, or a dense foam rubber may work. If it is a caulk material, a good auto parts store or auto paint supply store should have what you need, just make sure you talk to somone knowledgeable that works there and tell them what your using it for. Stay away from the guy that works there part time and doesn't have a clue what he's doing there except collecting a paycheck. Do not use a silicon base rubber caulk as this promotes metal to rust from what I've heard. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
what you need is a heater only box I have an extra if your interested. Also I had the same problem and iI just used ribbion sealer 3m makes it and its held up for 5 years now & no rust.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I am pleased to be bringing an old thread back up to the top. :p

I have the Heater box (inside) and Air-conditioning box (under bonnet/hood) removed from my '75 for a replacement heater core, door/vane foam replacement and repair of vacuum pod.

Now this thread talks about a gasket between the heater box and the body. My El Camino does not have any form of gasket on the inside for the heater box to body joint. What it has is, the heater box tightens down on the sound proofing material which runs across the whole width of the firewall and has cut-outs to suit the required openings. The sound proofing is the usual fibrous material with a tar type backing or surface.

The Air-conditioning box appears to have been sealed using a caulking or silicon type product.

Any members have any suggestions or advice please?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I took this pic when I got home from work so you can get a better idea of what I am describing. The missing bit of the sound proofing material at the top was missing when I pulled the box out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a 79 leaking behind the dash also, i posted a question in another forum on this site but just found this forum, thanks for the advice maybe thats where mines leaking too, ill let ya know when i find out next weekend, hope ya`ll can fix yours too my pass rear floor pan was rusted out beacause of it so i had to cut it out n weld a new one in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts