El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My carpet was a little wet on the passenger side but don't have time to check it out I'm dropping it off at the paint shop today. If I disconnect the vacuum on the heater core valve will that stop the flow of water or do I have to bypass the heater core?
Thanks
Robert

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea thanks a lot I only need it to drop it off.
Robert

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The only down side is you'll have to replace it by leaning over your fresh paint. But on g bodies it's a fairly easy job.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only down side is you'll have to replace it by leaning over your fresh paint. But on g bodies it's a fairly easy job.

The heater core is less than a year old but we have no winter here so I will bypass it till next year.:beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
just stopping the flow through the heater valve will only shut off one hose and will still leak from the other hose. if the core is leaking the only way to stop it from leaking until repairs can be made is to bypass the entire core ,BOTH hoses off and either capped or connected together

·
Registered
74 Posts
just stopping the flow through the heater valve will only shut off one hose and will still leak from the other hose. If the core is leaking the only way to stop it from leaking until repairs can be made is to bypass the entire core ,both hoses off and either capped or connected together
x2!

~JM~

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I figured that , it's at the paint shop now so it's not going anywhere. I didn't pull the carpet all the way but I don't see or feel anything wet except right in the middle of the passenger floor not the sides or the matting underneath where the carpet is wet just that one spot. It has to flow down and everything else is bone dry. Find out when I get it back. SENSE THE LAST TWO YEARS I'VE HAD TO REPLACE SOME OF THE ORIGINAL PARTS THAT LASTED THIS LONG AND MOST OF THE NEW ONES HAVE ALREADY FAILED THAT SUCKS QUALITY ISN'T AN ISSUE ANYMORE TO THESE COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I checked the radiator it was a little low so that's it. I still have the box for the core that's how old it is. who cares about a warranty I have to take my time and gas to replace it.,

thanks again. CCC/JM/Bobby78
Robert

·
0 Posts
Its nothing too major to fix though. If you drive early in the morning,the widows might need defrosting but that's no biggie since a towel can fix that.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i always use everco for heater cores ,the one in my elco is 12 years old with no leaks.it also has a lifetime warranty from orielys,was kragen when i bought it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
by-pass the heater core completely, otherwise itll still leak, and still possibly blow up on you while youre driving. (even the return side will still have pressure on it at some point, especially after you shut the engine off and it sits a moment or two)

mine seeped a very little bit and then at the worst time possible, finally popped and soaked my carpet. its worth dealing with before it gets this far.

it only took me an hour (taking my time, and multi tasking with another car) to do mine. just dont forget about the two screws on the inside of the box, under the blower motor (on a/c boxes)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i did mine on my lunch break and stiil had time to eat my lunch. it really is a easy job.dont forget the ground wire,it helps stop electrolisis from killing the heater core

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed it out when I did my air conditioning it's no problem changing and I still have the old one that had nothing wrong with it but I had it opened so why not just do it. maybe it's leaking from the hose fitting after polishing the engine. It was dark out and I didn't see that close at 10:00pm last night and no time this morning. I was just kidding about bypassing it till summer. I will fix it the day I get my truck back I wouldn't think it got a hole in it because there's nothing to pierce it inside the box so it's probably the hose just inside the housing I would think.
Thanks for the input and i'll post it with the pic's. of my new Infiniti Black Cherry paint job.:nanawrench::nanawrench: here's the color

·
Registered
852 Posts
its not so much about something about piercing it, as it sort of rotting from the inside out, or at soldered fittings. you will see it alot more when you run a diluted antifreeze mix, or when people put just water in it for too long, it oxidizes and through electrolysis itll eat away at the inside of the core till it springs a leak. that coupled with it being under pressure and heat, it ends up speeding up the process

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Hope you have better luck with your paint time-wise than I am having.

If not it will be by-passed for the summer anyway.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its not so much about something about piercing it, as it sort of rotting from the inside out, or at soldered fittings. you will see it alot more when you run a diluted antifreeze mix, or when people put just water in it for too long, it oxidizes and through electrolysis itll eat away at the inside of the core till it springs a leak. that coupled with it being under pressure and heat, it ends up speeding up the process
It's not even eight months old I still have the box. No straight water I take a half bottle of antifreeze and mix it with distilled water and never had a problem. That 50/50 they sell is almost as much as the regular and your paying top dollar for 1/2 water or am I wrong?:dontknow: There's no way it could be rotted out here in So. Cal. I never turn on the heater but need the air daily. Could be the weld I have to get my receipt should be a year warranty from O'Rilie's if not I will just put the old one back it's fine.
Thanks for the input.
On the paint job I will have it back next week they pulled it inside right after I got there to pull all the trim so you can't back out like putting in a swimming pool they dig the hole then disappear for a month.:poke:
Robert

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
could be just a defect ,the biggest misconseption is that new means good.new is just new. anybody buying the 50/50 from the parts store is just being lazy and throwing away money, 5o/50 is about 2 $ cheaper than strait so you are paying for a half gallon of water that would cost pennies at home.look at it this way buying 50/50 would cost you 30 $ to get a gallon of antifreeze.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
could be just a defect ,the biggest misconseption is that new means good.new is just new. anybody buying the 50/50 from the parts store is just being lazy and throwing away money, 5o/50 is about 2 $ cheaper than strait so you are paying for a half gallon of water that would cost pennies at home.look at it this way buying 50/50 would cost you 30 $ to get a gallon of antifreeze.
That's why I mix mine I couldn't believe they sold it. As for the heater core I'm thinking Japan cheap crap I replaced original parts that lasted this long and the new ones fail in a year. Get what you pay for wont happen to me again if there is a better quality part out there. My time is worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I used a NAPA replacement core that had the identical top with 2 humps/bumps enabling the factory clip to be reused, keeping it from moving extremely well. Mine went out at the seam between the flat base and the core.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts