El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Elky w/AC that I am trying to remove and replace the heater core in. However I am having difficulty trying to remove the old one. I have removed the heater box assembly but the heater core is concealed behind another metal cover. I found what looks to be three bolts that go through the firewall but other than that I don't see anyway to remove the cover over the heater core. Does anyone have any experience in removing this and if so I'd appreciate the help?:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Welcome to the site from Texas. I did a search on your subject but didn't get any good answers. A fellow member and all around antagonizer, Lockjaw, owns a couple of 67's. I'm sure he's replaced the core brfore. Why don't you pm him and make him aware of the thread you started. That way, your question can help someone else down the line. Good luck. Oh yeah, you have to type real slow cause ,bless his heart, he's one of those seasoned citizens...:poke:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Hey, silverstud , I have two 64's, not 67's like what's his name said. I have removed a heater core or two in these A bodies. I am not certain I can help, but a photo would be good. My red car is A/C which might be similar. Even after you remove bolts you might be trying to separate pieces that are stuck together
by old gaskets or sealant. I need more info or good photos.I also have a reprint of 2 gen factory manual.
James

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Sorry about that guys.. my mistake. Aren't they both the 64 & 67 2nd gen? I guess its like the early/late 5th gen. Same thing only different..thanks James, for helping out.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
mIKE, OTHER THAN

Jarhead, aside from subtle sheet metal, trim and dash changes
these second gens are pretty much identical. 68 was the big departure to wider track, big blocks and less "square" body styling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heater core

Thanks for the replies. I will try and get a photo but I'm not sure how good they will turn out under the dash. It's possible after removing the nuts I can pry the cover off if it is just stuck or old sealant is preventing it from coming loose. I just didn't want to pry on it not knowing the consequence. I appreciate any help from anyone who can solve this mystery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heater core

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm not sure how good of picture I can get from under the dash but I'll try. It's possible it is old sealant or just stuck but I didn't want to pry on the cover without knowing for sure. Didn't want t damage something that is hard to replace. I keep checking to see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it out and the new heater core is in but not without a lot of headache and parts removal I was expecting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts