El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone give me good directions or pictures on how to remove my 1965 el camino heater core, i read the chiltons manuel and it sounds like i might have rivets where it says there are bolts, anything will help. thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks guys, got it off, just need to test it now, do you just hook it up to test it or can a radiator shop test it a better way?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I have this problem that when my elky arrived in Finland, she had heaterhose connect to each other, so that heater core was cut off. Basically it runs straight from cooler to engine(or vice versa) and there are two open hose that were cut off running from heater housing. And now I am wondering, could I just reconnect them and expect hot water running through the core? The fan is working so there would be heat from the vents. But the question really is that is there anyway to make sure that the core is solid and won't leak, before I'll do this reconnecting? Thanks for advice, didn't want to start a new thread.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Lemmy,
Do you have a small hand vacuum pump? If so seal one of the tubes completely and rig the pump to the other one and pump it down and see if it holds.
You could also rig some way to pressurize it (NO MORE THAN 15PSI) and see if it holds.
Odds are that with it cut out of the system it is going to leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts