El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's one fix at a time, and now that the center dash plate has been removed to replace the lighter ( kept blowing the fuses ), I decided to take a look at the switch for the heater/air.

I'm only getting air from the vents and floor, not the dash vents. That said, the comments I've gotten indicate that the vaccum switch is most likely leaking and needs replaced.

I removed the nuts holding the panel switch and gently pulled on the unit to see what I was getting into, and I saw that the switch is in the rear with the hoses. I also noted that there are several attachments (wires and plugs).

Can anyone tell me the correct sequence for removal?, my manuals show nothing for actual removal. Also, it looks like it's a fragile removal of the vaccum switch from the head unit, how does it actually seporate from the head? And does the unit need to be completely removed for vaccum switch replacement? ( those assortment of attched vaccum lines scare the hell out of me ).

·
Supporting Member
4,373 Posts
First, are you sure that you have vacuum coming to the switch. The symptoms you describe are typical of no vacuum at all. It's quite unusual for the switch to be bad.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a look at the vaccum ball and overview, any suggestions at how to check if proper vaccum is going thru to the ball?

·
Supporting Member
4,373 Posts
Look for a Pink vacuum line running from under the HVAC unit in the engine compartment. Track that down until it connects with a vacuum hose. Check at that connection for vacuum when the engine is running.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I had the same problem.No air coming out dash vents,just defroster & floor.I bought 2 new vacuum switches that go behind the a/c control panel & installed them & fixed that problem.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
I would do what darbysan recommended, make sure you have a vacuum supply to the switch/valve, before getting too far into it.
Taking a pic of the valve & hoses is a good idea if you have to get into it. You could also trace the hoses to the vacuum motors ( diaphragms) that move the doors in the heater/AC box, to check if any are pulled off etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
sticking air doors

The air door on my 87 that directs air to the dash vents sticks, I suspect the vacuum motor going bad...anyone know where a diagram of the a/c vent system can be found? Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts