El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 48,000 miles and on my GM crate motor and just put in my fifth module today. I've been thru GM, 2 AC Delco, and 2 unknown brands. 1 GM installed, 2 by a mechanic, and 2 by me. Somewhere along the way I put in a MSD 75k coil.
Lots of variables but it comes down to the modules don't last long. I need to order my spare (or 2 ) and was wondering if there is a trick to making these last longer?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Are you using heat sink grease?

Dielectric grease isn't the same.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The pickup coil wires can be ready to break and can cause intermittent conditions that some blame on the HEI module. You can use an multimeter on the pickup coil wires when disconnected from the module and if you wiggle the wires around or tug on the wires not real hard and the OHM reading change you may want to replace the pickup coil.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,692 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,115 Posts
The real killer to the modules is the heat. I have made aluminum plates to mount the module outside the distributor and have not seen a failure after that. Obviously this requires some re-wiring to extend the wiring to the external mount location and etc. Bob (elkybuick) was going through modules like crazy until I mounted the module to the front side of the core support in the air stream. No failures for at least three years now.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pickup coil wires can be ready to break and can cause intermittent conditions that some blame on the HEI module. You can use an multimeter on the pickup coil wires when disconnected from the module and if you wiggle the wires around or tug on the wires not real hard and the OHM reading change you may want to replace the pickup coil.
I had done this on an earlier replacement but not recent ones.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The real killer to the modules is the heat. I have made aluminum plates to mount the module outside the distributor and have not seen a failure after that. Obviously this requires some re-wiring to extend the wiring to the external mount location and etc. Bob (elkybuick) was going through modules like crazy until I mounted the module to the front side of the core support in the air stream. No failures for at least three years now.
Bob's breakdown in Ocala is what made me to start carrying a spare.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but i've had a similar experience with distributors.

My 71 Chevelle still has an OE (assuming it's been rebuilt) Delco Remy, my 87 Elco had the original CCC distributor until it needed to be replaced two years ago (with an MSD) but my 71 Elco is on it's fourth since I restored in in 2009 but barely driven. I did a similar progression—Proform licensed by GM (initially under the assumption Proform was reputable), that started acting erratic, replaced it with a Delco (turned out to be the same as the Proform just sold in a Delco box and part number), replaced it was a diff Delco part number that was a supposedly higher end, then when i was issues the third time, I was going to go MSD but it turns out the GM Performance version (which came with your crate motor) is made by MSD in the US. The only difference was that it was a little cheaper and didn't come with a set of additional springs and weight for fine tuning. Hopefully it lasts for awhile.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
2,290 Posts
I am a dummy, so forgive me. What is the module you are talking about?

Nose Smile Mouth Product Cartoon

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
This thingy. Goes inside the distributor and controls the ignition.
Font Automotive lighting Screenshot Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
2,290 Posts
Thank you sir. I do know what points and condensers are, but modules......................

What can I say, I'm just an old fart.
Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Hood

This is for wives of old farts like me to call after we fix something ourselves.
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel Car

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I put a Procomp HEI distributor in my 86 not long after I bought the car , the module went bad in less than a year so I replaced it with a used GM AC Delco module that my brother had laying around his garage for years , it lasted about 12 years , I had to replace it earlier this year , I got the new one at Autozone & I have had a spare in my glovebox for many years .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts