El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input. My 64 ElCam with 230 6's dist is worn and won't hold a dwell setting. This has been getting worse for years now and is really starting to effect drivability. I realized this when I was trying to explain to somone else how to slip the clutch and feather the gas to get going and how to heel and toe the brake and gas to keep her running until she is warm.
I ordered a DUI unit but was told they only sell for 250+ inline 6's. That is probably for the best since they were asking $300. So, I was forced to dig a little deeper and found that contrary to what I first was told, you can still get a remanufactured unit for about $40 and it seems that you can get a pertronix unit for that for about $80. I also found a used HEI for $75 at some site dedicated to old inline motors (Stovepipe?). That beggs the question, is HEI better than the stock disty with the pertronix unit? I like the all in one symplicity of the HEI, but the Pertronix gets major cool points for looking stock in my all stock drivetrain and still getting rid of the dreaded points.
I put a Mallory Unalight im my 351w in my Bronco years ago and love it. It has never skipped a beat. They don't make them for inline 6's.
Thanks
Max

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talking to myself...

Well, after some research I decided to go with a stock type HEI from Stovebolt.com. While I found that I could get the stock dist for $41 several sources told me that they are rebuilt with bushings that wear quickly so I would be having the same trouble setting my dwell after 20 or 30 thousand miles. I figure @ $75 for the used, but not rebuilt HEI, I can still buy the stock one and a Pertronix if I change my mind. I was initally looking at a $300 HEI from D.U.I. but fortunatly, in hindsight, they told me they didn't make one for my 230 inline 6. They did list one for a 250 6 and the Stovebolt guy says they are the same.
Hope all this helps the next guy.
Max

1 - 3 of 3 Posts