El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

I have dreamt of having an El Camino since i first started really hankering for a car. I'm 15 now, and about a month away from getting my lisence, and i think i struck a deal with my dad to use my car as a dinghy for our RV, instead of my mom's car.

When driving to my friend's house yesterday, we saw an El Camino in the driveway of someone's house in the neighborhood, that looked to be in excellent shape for a car of age. It took a while for me to get the guts to call, knowing that classic cars in that good of condition tend to go for way more than what's in my budget.

Turns out that it's an '81 El Camino, with a 305 and a rebuilt automatic tranny. The engine has never been rebuilt as far as i know, and it's got 129k miles on it.

I would be driving this car to/from school, would it be practical for this purpose? and if i am assuming correctly, all el caminos were RWD, correct?

He also said that the O-Ring on the filler nozzle for the transmission leaks a little bit, could this be a problem worth noting?

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hello and Welcome !

Yes this car would be practical but remember that even a 305 is gas hungry, so if you're to punch it a little bit, it will be a bit costly in gas money :) I know at 15 money is always tight.
The guy says it's a rebuilt tranny but it has a leak, how long ago was it rebuilt? On a non rebuilt, it would make sens, not on a rebuilt - or was it a bad rebuilt?
One thing you should REALLY consider, if you are very interested in that car, is to bring it to some mechanic you know or your dad knows and have it lifted and inspected. Many cars can look good from the outside but under the car, it's where it really "happens" you know :)
Yes El camino's are RWD and fun to drive !! Don't rush your purchase, if it's not this one, it will be another one, trust me, i know having a rusty car can be a pain in the ass :
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=34253

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. :D

That ran through my head when we were looking at it as well, the rust thing, at least. I'll have to ask exactly what the problem was with the transmission, and get a VIN to check to see if the paint is original. It's a dark brown with a tan top. It looks quite a bit better in person, actually. (at least to my naive eyes!)

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
I would check out cragislist.com in your area. You can always find El Caminos on there.

Also welcome :Welcome!:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts