El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys i’m kinda new to this and el caminos in general. I’ve found a 72 that claims to be an ss and is asking 10k. From stuff i’ve read here and other places online it looks to me as if it’s a clone but like i said i’m not an expert at all and don’t know what to look for. Says it’s a 350 motor. And before I go check out the car i’d like to know what exactly to be on the look out for.
here are some pics hopefully you all can tell me some stuff Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I "believe" the SS's all had 2 pcs of trim on the tailgate with black between them.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The only way you can guarantee a 72SS ( without build sheet or POP) is if the 5th digit of the VIN is a "W". That is the code for a 454 motor which was only available on the SS in 72. But a true SS could also have any other 72 motor except the 307. In those cases, build sheet or Protecta-Plate are the ONLY guarantees. I'd err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only way you can guarantee a 72SS ( without build sheet or POP) is if the 5th digit of the VIN is a "W". That is the code for a 454 motor which was only available on the SS in 72. But a true SS could also have any other 72 motor except the 307. In those cases, build sheet or Protecta-Plate are the ONLY guarantees. I'd err on the side of caution.
motor is a 350

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I think you can only prove it with a build sheet or POP as stated, and yes the W for a 454 model. But in California they did not offer the 454 so you could get a 350 SS. Now having said that I don't see anything that is a no deal on this ride as long as it's rust free (which it looks) and if it runs. You don't want it let me know!!?
Donny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts