El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 elcamino swapped with an early model 350. I replaced the alternator and the battery and it runs at about 11.80 volts at the batter and doesnt charge any higher when reved or anything. I can change pretty much anything but when it comes to electrical Im not that good so does anyone have any ideas? Bad ground somewhere? Where are they located and could it be a fried wire? Help please

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Check and clean battery connections first, including pigtail connections at fender and espcially at the back of the alt. Check belt contition and tension second. And finally have the battery tested to be sure it is taking a charge well.

:beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
depending on which series alt you have.check the plug for power to the brown wire on a cs series and power at both wires on a si series alt. if it has a cs alt it wont charge without signal voltage and the si generally will charge if revved hard enough even without signal. make sure you have battery voltage at the back of the alt charge post.check and clean all grounds.check to make sure you didnt leave any wires off at the starter battery post

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have an si alternator i believe and how exactly do i check it ? its probably a dumb question

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Carl and I have just listed checks for connection and voltage at wire ends etc. The same parts store where you purchased the alt and batt should be able to do a system check for free. Remember that even a 'new' off the rack battery may possibly not be taking the charge properly and the battery is only part of the load after the engine is running. You will just have to wait around about an hour while a cycle test is run on it (batt) at the parts store, or anywhere that can provide that for you.

:beer:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did they sell you the right part some time auto zone and orilleys go thru thier computer so fast they just focus on v8 not asking if it a 305 or 350 just double check your parts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a correct 350 alternator I went to napa and it's an early 350 with a v belt and the bracket aligned correctly ..I also bought the old one and made sure they were the same

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could it be a ground or something?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
How old of a 350 did you tell them it was? Does it have an internal voltage regulator? Early models had a seperate external regulator. 11.8 volts sounds like straight battery voltage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Don't know what it was exactly but I changed all the alternator wires and now it works..they looked old so I figured if I put a new alternator it needs new wires to make it right..back I'n business. Btw it's a 69 350 I believe

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 84 elcamino swapped with an early model 350. I replaced the alternator and the battery and it runs at about 11.80 volts at the batter and doesnt charge any higher when reved or anything. I can change pretty much anything but when it comes to electrical Im not that good so does anyone have any ideas? Bad ground somewhere? Where are they located and could it be a fried wire? Help please
I had a problem with my 79 Elco,drove to work one morning , noticed dash board lights going dim. So I hustled it to work. Shut it down, dead battery. Bought new battery, drove to work next morning , same thing dead battery. Went to parts house bought alternator. You guessed it , dead battery . After going to numerous forums new ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My tablet is playing games. You have pos. cable and 2 red wires going to starter solenoid. On the two red wires are useable link wires. Take a look at those, that was my problem, one was fried replaced it , runs like a top. Remember to replace with another useable link or it can be a lot worse. Hope this helps . Ken Bailey 1979 Conquesta El Camino

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same problem with my 86 when I bought it. Previous owner had replaced the battery and alternator and put the grounds back in the wrong spot. I relocated it and made sure the battery, body, and engine were all properly grounded. No problems since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts