El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fam its me once again.... so the car wont start, radio turns on and everything, but when i try to turn it on no noise.... not even a click.... so i bought it a new starter... installed it... still not working !!! The elco's been down for almost a week and i am devastated... so i checked the fuse box one of the fuses were burnt out... so i try replacing it and it pops... i tried again... and it pops the new fuse again... so i am going crazy i just want me baby to turn on !! :frown:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Which fuse keeps blowing? Had you made any changes to the car recently, before the starter?

Voltage/amperage of battery? If you're not sure, are the headlights nice and bright?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a optima red top battery so that shouldnt be a problem... its the top left fuse... it happened the week it was raining pretty bad... so i dont know if that has to do with anything ?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
You are correct about the circuit that fuse protects. That circuit is hot regardless of key position. Something is obviously getting to ground. Start disconnecting things one at a time. You can get to the lighter under the dash, unplug the wire to it (orange I think). If it still blows the fuse, take the door switches that turn on the dome light, out of the A post and see if that clears it. This should have no affect on your "no start" though. For that I would check the ignition switch or neutral safety switch. You say you replaced the starter so one would assume the solenoid is good.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
when the ignition switch is actuated to the "start" position, do you have power going to the solenoid?
Did you try to jump across the solenoid to see if the starter will crank?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we tried to jump it... didnt wont... the engine doesnt make a noise... im kind of a rookie with cars as well so that might be a problem as well... im seriously hoping that my engine didnt just die out on me :(

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
As stated above, you need to crawl under with a meter or test light. There are two small terminals on the solenoid, with the key on, one should have 12V and one not. Have someone hold the switch in the start position. Now see if you have 12V on the other small terminal. Then reply.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bingo, you called it,..

think its the CLK LTR CTSY...20A
Rich, That location is labeled the clock (even if there's none), cig. lighter, courtesy lamp (dome) fuse. That happened to me, and I found a short in the cig. lighter housing connection behind the dash. Before you go any further, climb under the dash with a light and look for any loose pulled down wires. Then disconnect the power lead to the cig. lighter, push in another 20a fuse and see if it blows, process of elimination before you do an extensive electrical system test. My 2¢ anyway,.. - George

·
Registered
358 Posts
Rich, If it popped with the power pulled from the lighter, then search further. Now pull the dome light cover and housing, see if the bulb burned or charred the 2 wires under that silver cup. I went thru this crap already,.. something is shorting out with a 20a fuse. - George

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I'm working on the starter right now... Kinda fixed it but not really, hotwired the starter but the starter stays ingaged while it's in ignition

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks ima try that out... Its pretty cold and its night time. I'll let you know the outcome.... i wonder what caused this devastating mess ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts