El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '85ss, but with an '87 Monte Carlo 305- 4 Brl Rochester. When I go to start the vehicle in the morning, after sitting 1 or more days, it takes about 20 seconds of cranking before I get even a hint of combustion. Then it starts and runs fine. Throughout the rest of the day, it starts with no problems at all.

I have also noticed a smell of gasoline in the garage after parking there at night. I suspect that I have a gas leak that is draining the bowl, and possibly the lines to some degree, that require the pump to re-prime and refile the lines and bowl before I get fuel to the cylinders.

But I'm just guessing!! It's been a while since I worked on cars ( the Vette didn't need work!). Any ideas or suggestions on what the problem might be, or how to approach troubleshooting and fixing, would be appreciated.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Sounds like the infamous quadrajet leaking main jet well plug problem.
What happens in this situation is that the wells below the main jets leak after sitting for several hours and saturate the intake manifold with raw fuel. This is usually manifested as a hard cold start followed by a nice plume of black smoke. The solution is a rebuild and sealing the well plug with JB Weld or similar sealant. Just a thought.

·
Banned
881 Posts
darbysan said:
I've got an '85ss, but with an '87 Monte Carlo 305- 4 Brl Rochester.
The MCSS CCC Q-jet is exactly the same as the standard CCC Q-jet with the exception of the secondary rods and hanger.

I whole-heartedly agree with Robert. This is an inherent problem with the CCC Q-jet. I've rebuilt many of these and as part of the rebuilds I always seal up the fuel bowl plugs with two-part fast curing epoxy. It sounds like it's time for yours to get a rebuild.

:mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Secondary Air Valve "Damper"

Thanks Guy's. I've ordered Doug Roe's book, so when that comes in I guess it's time to get dirty.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Good book!

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Why thank you!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reference is made to a book by Doug Roe. I'm not familiar with the book. Can someone provide some more details (title, where available)??

Thanks.

Taj

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks, Ernie!!

On a related subject, my secondaries have not been opening on my 85 305 Q-jet and I have not been able to diagnose why. I've checked vacuum and all appears fine there. My guess is there is something mechanical that is either blocking their opening or just not responding to some other input that is correctly feeding the mechanism.

Since I do not run my Elky that hard, this has never been 'problem' other than the nagging feeling that a feature I have is not operational. Strange as it may seem, they operated when she was new, quit for a long time, had a rebirth on their own for a couple of weeks, and then went back to sleep. I have replaced the diagphram unit on the passenger side of the carb, but that made no difference.

Am I missing an obvious solution??

Thanks.

Taj

·
Banned
881 Posts
First try disconnecting the transmission kickdown cable and the cruise control linkage (if you have it) from the throttle linkage. I've seen them prohibit full movement of the throttle so the secondaries wouldn't open up. Then take it for a ride and try opening up the secondaries. That'll at least eliminate any possible external binding.

:mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts