El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to start the 79 El Camino last night. It fired up one time and died. It now cranks but does not start. I assumed I flooded it so put it on the charger over night and it does the same thing this morning. Any suggestions on what I should check?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Richard, Three basic elements are necessary to create an explosion in your combustion chamber. These are Air, Fire or Spark, and Fuel. This is simplifying quite a bit but if you can eliminate each element as not causing the problem you narrow it down to which element is the culprit. I would start with spark. Take a plug boot off, stick a plastic handle phillips screwdriver in it & crank the engine over with the metal part of the driver close to your exhaust manifold or some other metal under the hood. (Not carb or fuel line) If you get a bluish spark arcing between the driver & metal, you have fire going to the combustion chamber. Next check that you are getting fuel to the carb. Then make sure that your choke isn't stuck shut or that your air filtration system is in good working order. If one of these elements is not responding then you will at least know which area to look at. Jon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to Jon and Robert!

It lives! I did the screw driver trick and had spark. Tried to add some fuel via the carb and finally ran the battery to DEAD. A friend stopped by and we put the big-ass battery cables on and I cranked and cranked and finally got to ligh off. After driving around and it now is back to normal and starts on the first try.

Thanks guys!

it had been sitting for four or five days and I must have flooded it big time. What is the proper way to start a cold engine?

Do you hold the gas to the floor until it starts or do you pump it?

I have been spoiled by fuel injected cars.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the choke works and the carb is in good shape I just pump it one time and fire it up. If it floods, hold the pedal to the floor and crank it, don't pump it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
427chev67 said:
If the choke works and the carb is in good shape I just pump it one time and fire it up. If it floods, hold the pedal to the floor and crank it, don't pump it.
Sounds good to me...... going to try it in the morning. The Elky is in the garage sucking down on the battery charger tonight.

BTW, the carb is major dirty looking with stains but I think the choke is working.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
427chev67 said:
I followed your tip and it started perfect this morning.

Thanks to all that respnded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts