El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so bizarre.. did some work cleaning up nasty fuse box on my 78 elky and went to put it back together and could not find the IGN Pink w/Black Stripe wire that plugs into the fuse box. I am cursed.. not finding it and I have looked for two days.. don't know what happened... So, I've decided just to run a new wire from the plug in area marked IGN at the Fuse Box to (wherever) that Pink w/Black Stripe wire goes to or comes from. I don't know what component it goes to. That is my issue to resolve.. Thank you in advance.. Can anyone help me please?

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
There is a pink, and a pink/black wire coming out of the fuse block. The pink goes the the fire wall connector, and from the fire wall connector to the ignition switch. The pink/black runs to the instrument panel gauges.
The other side of the fire wall connector is where the pink wire runs to the starter...

The ignition switch is where that section of the fuse block gets it's power...from what my diagram shows..

Hope that helps a bit !

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
its a pnk/blk that plugs into the front of the fuse box on one of the extra ignition terminals??

if its factory?? its probly an add-on accessory like cruise control??
but you can buy the add-on pigtails to use on anything..

do you notice anything that's not working now??

in my 85 book anything from the gauge fuse is pnk/blk,, key-on power..
.... and there is 2 pnk/blk wires at the dash pod connector..

:texas:

·
Supporting Member
4,488 Posts
Like JJ said, the front of the Fuse box has a couple of "blank" IGN and BAT connections available for accessories. Usually not used on the Elky from the factory, but available for you to use for add on accessories.

This is what the "Ign" tap will look like. There is a similar looking tap for the BAT terminal

http://www.repairconnector.com/gm-ignition-cavity-fuse-block-tap-clear/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all seems to be working... well sort of.. YUK again..

Gentlemen .. thank you for your responses. JJ was correct.. the pink/blk stripe wire at fuse box connected to IGN must have gone to my cruise control which I no longer have b/c of engine modifications. All seems to be working however, my original problem still exists.. is why I started down this path..YUK :( this all stemmed from the left front blinker not working and only getting about 6 volts when flashing. I HAVE new flashers, 4 ways work, right blinker works, parking, sides are fine.. all lights work except the L/F blinker.. (Lgt Blue Wire) I thought I was getting the low voltage to the L/F blinker from the fuse box thinking corrosion, etc.. heck it needed cleaning anyways !.. So, still only 6 volts at L/F blinker when activated. Where to go from here???.. I am so lost and not a wire expert. Any suggestions are appreciated or has anyone experienced this low voltage at a front blinker in their Elky's before... Thank you to all and truly appreciate you.

Tony

·
Supporting Member
4,488 Posts
Only way I can think of to be seeing voltage that low is a large resistance in the line. It could be two bulbs wired in series instead of parallel. I use that trick to run my 2 cooling fans at half speed. Could be corrosion in the line causing high resistance, or high resistance in the connection. Also check the bulb.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
wtg Tpiro

if the low voltage was on the power side?? it should affect the right front blinker too..
check the power into the turn signal switch connector on the purple wire, see if you have 12v..
then
check the blue and lite blue out of the turn switch, see if you have 12v??

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/d2/articles/wiring/781.gif

??
the blue/lite blue wires also power the hazard lights at the front,,
so the problem may be in the turn switch itself ?? maybe???

the hazards have a different power source, different contacts, but use the same wires/bulb...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4 way flashers work fine.. also side markers are good too. Flashers new and tested. Just changed out the turn signal switch so that's new. Also checked voltages at the end of switch at harmonica connector.. R/S blue wire = 12volts when blinking.. L/S Lt Blue wire = 5.5-6volts when blinking. Confirmed grounds directly from Neg battery side to sockets. Right side blinkers operational no problem with that. Left side blinker when turned on Left front bulb just lightly blurps once- confirmed low voltage. Left rear bulb goes bright (ready to blink condition but just stays bright)-All new bulbs and tested each one... It has to be that Lt Blue wire run- somewhere- it's hanging by a thread. It's not shorted or it would be blowing the fuse.. that would have been easy. LOL.. Does anyone have a 78 harness out that can tell me the run location of that Lt Blue wire and or any connections it may have besides the turn signal switch harmonic connector ?.....stumped..stumped..stumped.. tonight-pulling what hair I have left OUT!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh sorry JJ... no the parking lights on makes no different. .thx

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small update on issue with L/F Blinker

I tested voltage at flasher. When R/F is blinker on.. I get 12volt pulses and it works. When L/F blinker is on.. I get 6.5volts and NO pulses.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
Just changed out the turn signal switch so that's new.
why did the turn switch need changing?? was it the same problem??

if the hazards work fine,?
then its probly not in the wiring after the turn switch..
its the same wiring for the hazard and the L/F turn signal..

if the R/F turn signal works,?
then its probly not the power source, flasher or wiring before the switch..

whats left in-between?? the connection inside the turn signal switch..

as a test
I would disconnect the turn signal switch connector
and check the ohms thru the switch
from the purple to the blue and then to the lite blue.. see if both sides ohm the same??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JJ..

At first I thought it was the turn signal switch..yes same problem and usually that's the 1st to go.. so that is new. hazards work fine. Ok so we'll rule out the wiring as you said. Also you said..if the R/F turn signal works,?
then its probly not the power source, flasher or wiring before the switch..

So, we'll rule that out too.. so what's left the connection inside the turn signal switch (but that is new)

Ok.. I will disconnect the turn signal switch connector and check the ohms thru the switch
from the purple to the blue and then purple to the lite blue.. and see if both sides ohm the same. If they match then that would rule out the switch. If they don't match.. then what?

I can't thank you enough helping me through this mess. I have been on this thing for days. I will let you know after my test in a bit. Right now I have to take a break from it.. headache!!

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
then what?
I hear you, some electrical problems are a pita.. its defiantly a weird one..

I aint no lectrick-shin.. my 1st rule of lectricity..
if it don't work?? check the power then the ground..
if it works some of the time, or acts weird/goofy?? check the ground then the power..

the only other thing powered from the L/F turn signal wire is the turn indicator in the dash,,
and the side marker light..

if the turn socket, side marker or the dash looses the ground, then the turn circuit can backfeed a lot of
other lights looking for a ground..
but, you usually see a lot more weird lighting problems when that happens,
especially with the park or head lights on..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate ya..

I hear you.. yea the parking and headlights are cool. I snipped the L/F blinker and side marker sockets in case they were messed up.. just took'em out of the line and only had the Lt Blue wire open to test that ran on top of the L/F wheel well looking for the 12 volt pulse but still only a steady 6.5 low voltage. I even kept testing the Dark Blue for R/S and that pulsed at 12 volts. Tested the Lt Blue at the harmonica connection and the one coming out of the harness running through the firewall... Yuk! same low voltage. So now my head is more clear I'm going to test that purple to the blue and then purple to the lite blue at the harmonica connection. I'll let you know the ohms.. Thanks again man.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey JJ... I had just thought.. I did test the volts on the harmonica connection (not the ohms yet) Lt Blue on both sides of the connection and it read 6.5 volts .. wondering if this issue is way beyond resolving ... couldn't I run a new Lt Blue L/F wire under the dash from harmonica connection out thru the firewall to the left front? Maybe I'm reaching ..LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tested Purp to Dk Blue and to Lt Blue

Well JJ... Tested Purp to Dk Blue and to Lt Blue via the harmonica connection (of course you have to turn your blinker lever to Left and to Right) both sides from Purp to Dk Blue and to Lt Blue read 0.5 ohms on both... I'm about to give up. Is there anyone or anymore suggestion.. I need a miracle thrown at me !!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe just run a new wire but I do not know to connect to (where) and run to (where)?? :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea.. me too.. thought we were onto something. I did discover the mechanics of it though with that purple wire.. that is the main feed from harmonic connector and back to the flasher at 12 volts. That's what it take to activate the flasher so it pulses. When the switch is to the right the purple and Dk Blue pulses at 12volts and when it's to the left the purple and Lt Blue sits there at 7 volts .. no pulse and not enough juice to activate the flasher... Sooooooo, I will have to trace the purple wire back though the harness along with the Lt Blue and see if there's a connector somewhere or stretched/half broken wire. With that 7 volt low voltage that wire is choking up somewhere. Sure wish this was a grounding out issue.. much easier to fix b/c it so it would be blowing the fuse. I'll keep ya up to date and thanks again. Tony

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
your not using a LED bulb or something different in the one that doesn't work are you??
that don't make sense ether tho..

I don't know what else to check, swap the bulbs around maybe??

yea that's the whole problem finding the problem,
if the problem was in the
power, fuse, wire, or flasher it should happen when the other turn sig was on too..

the wire, bulb, socket, all work with the hazard, so its good..

I think??
the power goes strait to the flasher from the turn sig fuse,
might as well check the fuse and connection, but it don't make sense, just like electricity sometimes..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts