El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end looks twisted...another buddy commented the setup looks like 73 and newer...not 71 as is the rest of my a body.
It's a 10 bolt..possibly from a chevy???
Anyone have this type of setup???
Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It sure looks twisted! You must have rusted out/bent/broken trailing arms. Hard to tell from the photos other than it is really out of whack! Have you examined the upper and lower arms? If they are stock pieces they may be rusted and coming apart. Not a big problem to solve if you do it before you wreck your ride on the road. It is clear the rear has rotated somehow. Does your driveshaft seem level under the car ?Do any of the arms have a noticeable bend or break ? Did it handle and steer okay last time you drove it ? That rear looks like it has rotated about 15-20 degrees from where it should be. I am no expert, but, please don't drive it until someone in the know gets a good look at it.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Don't know about the rear axle, but it looks like the sway bar bolts to the bottom of the lower control arms and not to the sides as does the stock set-up!

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it is the wrong rear you can see the original shock mount in one pic and is on the wrong side of the axle tube

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
My guess is it's a 4th gen rear axle AND lower control arms!

Doug

Maybe upper control arms too????

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the car as is...right before winter.
I noticed the rear stance was off..I'm just now getting involved in the project.
If the rear was twisted ...it should be twisted the other way.
The goof who I bought it from was a real winner...welded in f body engine mounts...instead of bolting in Chevelle mounts.
Everything has welds on it.
I still got a deal considering the shape the body and frame is in.
I've never had rear end problems...so this is a new adventure.
I originally planned a 350/turbo 350 setup...but recently scored a Big block.
the 350 motor has a big cam...I could use some 4.11's.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts